Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Semroc > SAM - Semroc Astronautic Modeler Team
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 07-19-2011, 12:43 PM
Old BAR

This is a tough question and is easy to over-think. I really like the Orion, Saturn 1B, Little Joe II, Trident, Orbital Transport, SST Shuttle-1, Space Shuttle, Mars Lander, and the Taurus. Obviously, I have always been a sucker for futuristic designs. Semroc's foray into the X-Kits is much appreciated, as I like/love nearly all of those.

If I had to pick an absolute, it would have to be the Trident, with the OT as a close second, and the Saturn 1B as an Honorable Mention.

Allen
Old 12-14-2011, 09:48 AM
Craftsman

As of right now it is the Mars Lander. Love that kit!
Old 12-14-2011, 05:38 PM
Fox Valley Rocketeer

Favorite? Oh, many come to mind, but Taurus and SLS Laser-X are certainly among them. The exchangeable motor mount on SLS makes it a very flexible flyer.
Old 12-14-2011, 07:41 PM
Master Modeler

Probably a hard call for most to make, for me it is without a doubt the Aerobee Hi. Simple, well executed as a kit, and both reasonable in terms of cost and operation. I get a request to build these every month or so and all it takes is a little effort to produce a creditable model.
"The complexity of living is eminently favored to the simplicity of not."
Old 12-15-2011, 02:27 PM
Master Modeler

Truly, I haven't built a Semroc kit that I didn't like. However, I'm in the throes of painting a Taurus Fleet Ship and I have to say—it's a darn nice looking model. If I can paint it without goofing it up, I have an idea it'll be my favorite—looks-wise anyway. Funny thing is, I don't go for "Spaceship" type rockets. Guess that's changed now.
Old 12-15-2011, 09:38 PM
Pickin' and launching.

I believe Semroc has a winner with every kit and they are top notch folks as well. With that said, I am partial to the Mark II kit. Love the history behind this kit. I did change the nose cones in the photo though.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  upscalefinal 116.JPG
Views: 63
Size:  310.7 KB  
NAR #28062, ROCI Section #625
http://www.newwayspacemodels.com
http://www.indyrockets.org
NewWay Space Models-We Cornered Model Rocketry
Old 12-15-2011, 10:02 PM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluegrass Rocket
I believe Semroc has a winner with every kit and they are top notch folks as well. With that said, I am partial to the Mark II kit. Love the history behind this kit. I did change the nose cones in the photo though.

Wow! Are those all Leed's (I think that was the name) crayon sharpener nose cones like the original Mark II? Where'd you find them?

Nice!

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 12-22-2011, 05:41 PM
Pickin' and launching.

Sorry for the late reply. Yes, those are all Leeds Sweete crayon sharpener nose cones with paint schemes based on photos that I have seen of real Mark II's. I just got lucky one day on Ebay when someone had listed 1 sharpener for auction that included a photo with a box of 13. I contacted her and made a deal for the box with the 13 sharpeners.

Earl, loved your videos. They were my first exposure to higher powered rockets.
NAR #28062, ROCI Section #625
http://www.newwayspacemodels.com
http://www.indyrockets.org
NewWay Space Models-We Cornered Model Rocketry
Old 12-22-2011, 10:03 PM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluegrass Rocket
Sorry for the late reply. Yes, those are all Leeds Sweete crayon sharpener nose cones with paint schemes based on photos that I have seen of real Mark II's. I just got lucky one day on Ebay when someone had listed 1 sharpener for auction that included a photo with a box of 13. I contacted her and made a deal for the box with the 13 sharpeners.

Earl, loved your videos. They were my first exposure to higher powered rockets.

Rick-

That was indeed a 'sweet' find! (ok, yeah that was too easy to let pass!). I have on occasion searched for them on ebay or various other Google searches with no luck. What is the natural color for those sharpeners?

Thanks too for the comments on the videos. I enjoyed doing those for about 13 years, but they took a whale of amount of 'after hours' time to write and edit (post production work). When my dependent parent's health began to fail badly 7-8 years ago, it became extremely difficult to continue to do those as a sideline, after hours endeavor aside from my 'day' job.

One day when circumstances are different I may be able to return to that effort, but for now care requirements take precedent and family comes first. But I do miss going to LDRS each year and documenting that event.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 12-22-2011, 11:26 PM
7/21/61

My daughter used to play a game with me where she would take her huge collection of tiny plastic horses and put them in front of me two at a time and I had to pick the one I liked the most. She'd keep pitting horse against horse until I had been through them all and had picked my very favorite.

I just mentally played the same game with my Semroc collection.

And the winner is....

The Laser-X.

Not the most complex Semroc kit but it's apparently my favorite. I'll need Carl to weigh in here but I believe it is/was Semroc's best selling kit.

Steve (really thankful there's a Semroc)