Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > FreeForAll
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 06-20-2016, 12:30 AM
Master Modeler

Default Beef Liver and Onions

Yeah, it's a food post.

If someone has something negative to post about this subject, please don't bother to post it. I'm not interested in reading it and I'm sure no one else is interested in reading it either.

So, I heard about this restaurant years ago through the internet and my eldest son.

I've lived too far away to visit this place. I got my chance on Saturday. I took the 70 mile drive to Lambert's Cafe to Foley, Alabama. This is the third restaurant in the family.

They like to throw bread rolls at you. Kinda fun!

So, I really didn't plan on going there on Saturday but it was reason enough to go. I was half way there and I had the time but not enough cash money. See, Lambert's don't take cards, cash and checks only!

Smart.

I get there and there is a line almost out the door. I get seated on the spot because I'm alone and 'Tice" is my waitstaff. A good man. I look over the menu, keeping prices in mind. I go to the 'ATM', pay the charge and get an extra "Jackson" just in case. I didn't need it, thankfully. I placed my order for Beef Liver and Onions with my two sides, smashed pot and corn. When I saw this item on the menu and I thought of my mom. No question, I ordered it.
Good choice for me.
Free corn bread, which was very good and fried okra. They had other free food which you can have and I guess you could eat for free and get out of there without spending a dime.
Oh so wrong!

I ordered my meal for my mother. It was her favorite meal when I was growing up. The difference was, she did not use brown gravy as this restaurant did. It made a BIG difference in the taste as I remember. Mom cooked this dry with no sides. I enjoyed this meal very much and had enough for leftovers.

For those of you who have 'not' eaten beef liver, the close as i can come to taste is, it is "gamey" like deer venison.

So, thanks to mom, I had a great meal at a funky restaurant and enjoyed myself entirely!

http://www.throwedrolls.com/
Old 06-20-2016, 01:10 AM
Craftsman

A local restaurant we frequent has liver and onions on the menu. I've always, and I mean always, looked past it on any menu because 1) of one experience I had eating home cooked liver as a kid and 2) I always thought of it as an old people dish.

But, reading your post, I was reminded that being in one's 50's is the same kind of old-people that I was thinking of. So, I are one.

Which all means that I'll get the gumption up to try it at least once at that restaurant we frequent. At least someone I've never met says it's good, so it can't be all bad.
Old 06-20-2016, 07:44 AM
Custom Cone, Kit & Decal Maker

Liver isn't bad it's just so darn high in cholesterol. Growing up in an Italian family of 9 kids, liver and onions was kind of a staple.

Saturday morning was usuuall chicken livers, gizzards and eggs.

Comfort food? Yea, I guess.

Understand, back in the 50's before the "foodies" got into it. A lot of foods were considered peasant foods and were very very cheap.

Liver, chicken gizzards, spare ribs, heck, when times were really hard my mom would even use chicken feet to add chicken flavor to spagetti sauce.

Yes, chicken feet!

http://sandmandecals.com/
Old 06-20-2016, 10:06 AM
Old Submariner

Beef liver and onions is great. Beef liver and bacon is even better.

However....

Elk liver and onions is AWESOME!!

4 out of 3 people struggle with math.

Chemically, alcohol IS a solution.

NAR# 94042
SAM# 0078
Old 06-20-2016, 10:22 AM
BAR

Not much of a fan of liver, but Lambert's is "da bomb"... We stop in there at least twice a year, I usually get at least four meals a year there... When we go up to Indiana as a family (Betty, Keira, and I) on our way to Indiana to see the family (Betty's sister and brother and their families, who live on a farm just north of Rochester, Indiana, and in the town itself, respectively) we go up 57 from Memphis and usually spend the night in Sikeston (well, Miner, east Sikeston). Lamberts is just the other side of the freeway about 3/4 of a mile from the Motel 6 we usually stay at.

They have EXCELLENT food... If I was gonna eat liver-n-onions, it'd be there. Since I'm not an offal aficionado, other than their chicken gizzards, which are VERY good, I usually just get the plate of hog jowl... a heaping plate of hot fried bacon, enough for two meals, even for a big boy like me, usually with a side of yams and stewed apples. They throw the cornbread in on the side of that one too, and as cornbread goes, their cornbread is about the best I've ever eaten-- it's moist and good and doesn't fall apart. Most cornbread is too dry and crumbly for my taste.

Their throwed yeast rolls are their hallmark. Evidently, at some point in the restaurant's history, the owner (who was the chief cook and evidently a server as well) was asked by one of his patrons for a roll, and when it wasn't quickly forthcoming due to them being so busy, the customer told him "Just throw me the d@mn thing!" He did and soon others started asking him to "throw them a roll" as well, and it "stuck" (pardon the pun) and became their signature thing. I ate there on my way back from Indiana planting (helping the BIL plant corn and soybeans on his farm) and caught a roll in the face intended for the guy next to me, but the ones thrown to me I caught no problem... LOL It's all in good fun and the occasional one that hits the floor is an 'oh well'.

The "pass-arounds" as they call them are VERY good too; that's something you don't see at any other restaurant! As you said, they're almost a meal in themselves (and you CAN just eat "pass-arounds" if you want; they'll bring you a plate for them and I think it's like $6.99 or something). I particularly enjoy the macaroni and tomatoes-- my Grandmother used to make those now and again when I was younger, only she used those huge like 2 inch long elbow macaronis... theirs is just a touch too sweet-- Grandma used to add a pinch of sugar to cut the acidity of the tomatoes, but they use just a bit too much, and they include chopped green peppers in there as well, which Grandma didn't, but it's still good. Blackeye peas was another staple growing up that I enjoy, which go particularly good with the hog jowl bacon. When I was a kid and we'd go to the Piney Woods of far East Texas to visit my mom's family (uncles n cousins), Aunt Florence would have black eyed peas at every meal. Not any canned crap or dry beans, either-- either fresh out of the garden in summer, or home-canned or frozen in winter, with lots of green snaps in them, cooked to perfection with a little onion and a bit of bacon fat for flavor. SOO good... The Lambert's blackeyed peas are a close second... Their fried potatoes-n-onions are very good too-- another favorite of mine growing up. The fried okra is good; Betty particularly enjoys that. But, hands down, my favorite is the sorghum molasses that one of the waitresses periodically brings around-- put that on a hot throwed roll, and you have some GOOOOD eatin'! When I was growing up, Aunt Florence's breakfast always consisted of sorghum syrup and biscuits. Actually, every meal featured biscuits-- she liked the "Hungry Jack" flaky layers ones, she's pop open a can and put them all together in a pie plate and bake them in the oven. There was a trick to preparing your sorghum syrup for breakfast-- you'd get a thick dollop out of the can or jar and put it on your plate, then you'd get a dollop of butter and drop on top of it, then smash and whip it all together with your fork until the sorghum and butter were thoroughly integrated, then you'd grab a biscuit, and drag it through the mixture on the plate... you knew you'd done it right if it tore the bottom half off the biscuit. Get a heapin' pile of bacon and some eggs, and you were in business!

Later! OL J R
Old 06-21-2016, 04:33 PM
TRFugee

They say a picture is worth a thousand words...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  1163799916.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  32.6 KB  
Old 06-22-2016, 08:03 AM
Member in Good Standing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Campbell
They say a picture is worth a thousand words...

Yep. That would be me hiding!
Old 06-22-2016, 08:47 AM
Master Modeler

Rob,

LMAO!
Old 06-22-2016, 10:22 AM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

The ONLY thing liver-n-onions is good for is creating a major STINK-PRANK both while cooking and the flatulence that follows thereafter.
More disgusting than ANY of my suggested fecal pranks.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 06-23-2016, 02:30 PM
Where'd it go?

Default Yum!

Hi all,

Back in the early 70's Morrison's Cafeteria in Pensacola Fl. had some goodly Liver and Onions!

Wonder if they're still around?

Bob
p.s. Luke, Lambert's is the best! Planning on sending/bringing Dad's old Ms. personalized
license plate - FATLADY. It was on a mid 90's Ford four door.

NAR# 54643 L-1

SAM# 043

AMA# 157091

VRCS# 154

A&P# 42x xx xxxx.

Last edited by Blushingmule : 06-24-2016 at 11:30 AM.