Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > FreeForAll
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 11-06-2015, 08:07 AM
Born Late Rocketeer

Default So, you remember that new forum...

... started by someone tired of TRF's secret policies, anonymous administration and overly zealous moderators, shutting down threads whenever anyone starts asking what the rules are?

http://rocketrycenter.com/showthread.php?tid=358

Sheesh.
Syracuse Rocket Club

http://richsrockets.wordpress.com
Old 11-06-2015, 08:40 AM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

I went over there and can't even figure out WTF the issue is from reading all 3 pages of posts.
Seems to me someone is making a big F'n deal out of virtually NOTHING.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, TURMOIL, FIASCOS, and HAVOC !
Old 11-06-2015, 10:12 AM
MARS and URRG member

I agree, but whatever it was seems to have gotten to Rich, because he has posted this on TRF and here..
NAR #42065
TRA #00234
Old 11-06-2015, 12:09 PM
BAR

Well, AFAIC, the Terribly Run Forum can p!ss off... Seems that RC is starting to take off; I see a lot of new faces there with those stupid "introduction" threads, which IMHO is a bunch of self-serving nonsense... but it is a handy barometer for determining how many "newbs" are coming onto a forum without diving into the statistics...

The Rocketry Center seems like a breath of fresh air, and I'm glad it's there. Nice to see it starting to gain traction, though it also means a lot of the "noisemakers" from TRF are migrating over there... I think it's a good idea that RC is foregoing the divisive "off-topic" stuff to the extent possible, though a certain amount of that is simply unavoidable... It IS a rather troubling thing to see the same sort of lack of transparency and capriciousness in moderation, and lack of suitable explanation for certain actions being taken. I think they'd be well advised to simply make a statement on why certain actions are being taken in moderation... not a 'seeking assent' type of thing, just a simple straightforward, "here's how it is and why this action is being taken, and that's the end of it" type of thing. I think that'd go a long way to solving the issue...

If one is so inclined to discuss such things, there IS a forum for that... The "Sagitta Cantina" is a basically unmoderated (well, no profanity...) discussion board where the good, bad, and the ugly can be openly discussed; where adults who are capable of discussing their own points of view and issues, regardless of topic, can freely share their opinions, so long as they're ADULT enough to accept not everyone will agree and some folks will express opinions to the contrary... and who will remain ADULT enough to realize not everyone will agree with them all the time and either not be offended, or handle disagreement as simple difference of opinion, and not some "personal attack" that makes the burst into crying fits and scream for the protection of some "super-moderator" or something to that effect...

The Sagitta Cantina is a refreshing breath of fresh air in the stuffy overmoderated "everything must be politically correct" and "we're not doing our job if even one crybaby is offended" type moderation policies that have come to rule over most forums (YORF included unfortunately). IMHO allowing the crybabies to rule the roost is just the wrong thing to do, regardless of what forum it's on. If someone isn't adult enough to be able to handle disagreement without seeing it as a personal attack and then screaming for some moderator to "protect them" and filter everything to satisfy their overly delicate non-sensibilities, then IMHO they shouldn't be on ANY forum whatsoever... I guess I take a terribly "John Wayne" approach to the whole thing... "if something bothers you, that's your problem... doesn't mean it shouldn't be discussed..."

Oh well, it is what it is... glad that RC is providing an alternative to the Terribly Run Forum, but I am disappointed that they seem to be following the same stupid sort of moderation model that makes the Terribly Run Forum so awful...

Later! OL JR
Old 11-06-2015, 12:28 PM
Freeform rocketry advocate.

Location: Claremont, CA "The intellectual capitol of the world."-WSJ

It still makes YORF the last man standing.
Old 11-06-2015, 12:57 PM
Born Late Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg young
I agree, but whatever it was seems to have gotten to Rich, because he has posted this on TRF and here..

Nope, I haven't posted anything on TRF for a long long time.
Syracuse Rocket Club

Old 11-06-2015, 01:00 PM
Born Late Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
I went over there and can't even figure out WTF the issue is from reading all 3 pages of posts.
Seems to me someone is making a big F'n deal out of virtually NOTHING.

That's because the thread's already been eviscerated by the admins. Seems that publicly they're saying "It's a free forum!" while privately they emailed Mike Dutch to tell him URRG is "dead to them" and no one would be allowed to publicize them on the forums. The posts quoting that email were partially deleted with no explanation by the admins.
Syracuse Rocket Club

Old 11-06-2015, 01:29 PM
BAR

Well, here's ANOTHER alternative...

http://www.rocketryspot.com

Brand new forum, with an "unmoderated" pledge... well, other than pics showing naughty bits and most profanity, and the usual "no vulgarity, sexual, intimidation, threats, malicious, etc" type stuff...

Should be interesting.

Choice is a good thing... sick and tired of the discussion being held hostage by a bunch of whiners and crybabies that want everything to be PC and completely "their way", IOW, nothing that offends their delicate (non)sensibilities and disturbs their worldview... IMHO, giving in and trying to please those types of folks is just TOTALLY the wrong thing to do...

Later! OL JR
Old 11-06-2015, 01:46 PM
Freeform rocketry advocate.

Location: Claremont, CA "The intellectual capitol of the world."-WSJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Holmes
privately they emailed Mike Dutch to tell him URRG is "dead to them" and no one would be allowed to publicize them on the forums.
So what is URRG and what controversy made it seem right to someone to shun them?
Old 11-06-2015, 04:12 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

I think I'm going to start a truly 'Free for All" mostly-Rocketry forum where there is truly ZERO moderation and NO limits on anything including Profanity and Flame-Wars.
UNLIMITED MAYHEM is THEE only way to fly.
The only way one would get banned is ANY positive statements toward the POS GOP.
That will result in an immediate ban.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, TURMOIL, FIASCOS, and HAVOC !