Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Mission Control
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 09-10-2006, 10:26 PM
Master Modeler

Default Challenger Club Launch 9/3/06 Posted

I've uploaded my pics of the Challenger 498 club launch at Rushing Park, Katy, TX (9/3/06)
at the Challenger photo album. What might interest most of you are the pics of a long time
NAR member & model rocketeer, Harry Spears, who came down from Dallas just to fly with
us. He likes to build and fly upscales of classic kits from years back; at this launch he flew
his Nimbus, Lil' Hustler, Nike Ajax and Super Big Bertha. Unfortunately, I ran out of film (used
a 35 mm type camera) so I wasn't able to get the Super Big Bertha launch. Check out all of
the pics at the link below:

http://www.challenger498.org/gallery/album28?page=1

All the pics have captions, so I won't go any further here. Enjoy!
Old 09-12-2006, 07:03 PM
Officially Middle-Aged Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwmzmm
I've uploaded my pics of the Challenger 498 club launch at Rushing Park, Katy, TX (9/3/06)
at the Challenger photo album. What might interest most of you are the pics of a long time
NAR member & model rocketeer, Harry Spears, who came down from Dallas just to fly with
us. He likes to build and fly upscales of classic kits from years back; at this launch he flew
his Nimbus, Lil' Hustler, Nike Ajax and Super Big Bertha. Unfortunately, I ran out of film (used
a 35 mm type camera) so I wasn't able to get the Super Big Bertha launch. Check out all of
the pics at the link below:

http://www.challenger498.org/gallery/album28?page=1

All the pics have captions, so I won't go any further here. Enjoy!

Minor correction: That's not an "upscaled" 'Lil Hustler, thats the Hustler itself.

Sean
Old 09-12-2006, 07:43 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEL
Minor correction: That's not an "upscaled" 'Lil Hustler, thats the Hustler itself.

Sean

Thanks for that correction, Sean. I called it that as this is the first Lil' Hustler I've ever seen
upclose (even after being in the hobby since 1969!). Never saw what the Centuri original
model looked like, so I was just making a "friendly" observation...

Was looking over the SEMROC website about an hour ago to look at their production versions, and see the SLS Hustler is definitely much larger than the Lil' Hustler. I'll probably
end up getting the Lil' Hustler kit (lets see, along with the Mars Lander, the Point, cc: Space
Plane...gosh, might as well get everything!!).
Old 09-12-2006, 09:55 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

The Hustler is HUGE compared to the Lil'Hustler....I have both (actually I have 4 Hustlers, 2 built, and one Lil' Hustler).
I can only imagine flying the Hustler on an Enerjet F67 back in the day in a LARGE field.
The F67 was also a reccomended motor for the Lil'Hustler but I can't imagine many got them back if they were brave enough to send them into orbit on one of those.
An 80 n-sec ANYTHING in a Lil'Hustler is about as ignorant as the old list of reccomended engines that FSI used to list for their kits....A through F, which for anyone with HALF a brain knows is nonsense.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, TURMOIL, FIASCOS, and HAVOC !
Old 09-12-2006, 11:00 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
The Hustler is HUGE compared to the Lil'Hustler....I have both (actually I have 4 Hustlers, 2 built, and one Lil' Hustler).
I can only imagine flying the Hustler on an Enerjet F67 back in the day in a LARGE field.
The F67 was also a reccomended motor for the Lil'Hustler but I can't imagine many got them back if they were brave enough to send them into orbit on one of those.
An 80 n-sec ANYTHING in a Lil'Hustler is about as ignorant as the old list of reccomended engines that FSI used to list for their kits....A through F, which for anyone with HALF a brain knows is nonsense.

What about the Composite Dynamics ProJet motors? While they were available, those should have been powerful enough to give the Hustler good altitudes...
Old 09-13-2006, 12:33 AM
Master Modeler

I launched my Hustler on a E28-4 this weekend. Quite acceptable performance.

I haven't built a Lil' Hustler yet, but have the parts. Definitely something for D and E motors, although one of the low-F RMS reloads (F24, F39) might be good for heavy payload flights.
Old 09-13-2006, 09:29 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanj
I launched my Hustler on a E28-4 this weekend. Quite acceptable performance.

I haven't built a Lil' Hustler yet, but have the parts. Definitely something for D and E motors, although one of the low-F RMS reloads (F24, F39) might be good for heavy payload flights.

I think Harry Spears (the one in those Challenger pics in the first link to this thread) used a
similar motor for his Hustler, as it went pretty high despite its large size.