Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > BARCLONE > Designer's Studio
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 06-03-2006, 11:49 PM
Master Modeler

Lightbulb New Design: Manta Raven

Here is another large plane that had to become mid power because of the size and lack of aerodynamics. I call it the Manta Raven.

Thanks Again and Enjoy, JP

James Pierson
NAR# 77907
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Manta Raven Image.png
Views: 141
Size:  12.9 KB  
Attached Files
File Type: rkt Manta Raven.rkt (63.2 KB, 94 views)
Old 06-03-2006, 11:55 PM
Master Modeler

Lightbulb New Design: Mini Jet #7

Mini Jet #7 ready to go. I wonder if Craig's design count # is up to now? He is probably in bed as it is only 9:53pm here in WA and in GA its 3 hours later.

Thanks Again and Good Night or Good Morning, JP

James Pierson
NAR# 77907
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  Mini Jet #7 Image.png
Views: 112
Size:  10.7 KB  
Attached Files
File Type: rkt Mini Jet #7.rkt (51.6 KB, 92 views)
Old 06-04-2006, 07:41 AM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Pierson
Mini Jet #7 ready to go. I wonder if Craig's design count # is up to now? He is probably in bed as it is only 9:53pm here in WA and in GA its 3 hours later.

Thanks Again and Good Night or Good Morning, JP

James Pierson
NAR# 77907

It's only 2 hours between us -- I'm in Mobile, Alabama...

We're closing in on 250; I'll try to count again this evening and see how many we've added...

Fins on the lamplighter are "listed" as balsa, but I may have to revise the material. I did find a true bug in the program with this design. It has a maximum limit of the number of plot points allowed for fin shapes. This design tried to exceed that number several times, and the program crashed completely each time.

BARCLONE Rocketry -- http://barclone.rocketshoppe.com
BARCLONE Blogsite -- http://barclone.wordpress.com
BARCLONE Forum -- BARCLONE Forum

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635
Old 06-04-2006, 01:34 PM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Quote:
I wonder if Craig's design count # is up to now?

The official count is up to 251, provided I can include Jay's Tau Zero as part of the collection...

I've located a couple that may have been posted on other threads, and which I lost track of. These would bring the number up to at least 253. We need a new target number now. Let's see if we can get up to 300 before December.

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635
Old 06-04-2006, 01:50 PM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPMcGraw
The official count is up to 251, provided I can include Jay's Tau Zero as part of the collection...

I've located a couple that may have been posted on other threads, and which I lost track of. These would bring the number up to at least 253. We need a new target number now. Let's see if we can get up to 300 before December.

UPDATE: Count now 254. I found more than a couple...

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635
Old 06-04-2006, 03:02 PM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Default RE: Tau Tau

Quote:
I really like Jay's Tau nose cone as well however, I have been reluctant to post this next design for fear of offending Jay, as I concider him a pal.

And you imply that MY design will need Carl's help!

Sheeesh!

James, this one is a challenge and a half. I like the simplicity of the ring fin and the short tube at the rear; removing all of that interior volume from the nose cone while maintaining a straight cut will require more than just a simple Dremel Moto-Tool. Maybe if you had a horizontal mill with a high-speed Dremel-type cutting head (or a grinding stone, to essentially sand away the excess balsa). I suspect even Carl's Krellvenator would have trouble boring out that depth without shattering or splintering the balsa. Maybe if his tool had a laser-cutting attachment, where he could rotate the nose cone slowly and burn away the material...

A suggested compromise would be to adapt two of Carl's BC-760 specials into front and rear sections - one to form a standard NC with ST-5 shoulder for the front piece, and the second to form the hollowed portion. Split that section lengthwise into two equal pieces, and remove the material from each half. I still think this would be something only Carl could do, seriously.

Alternate compromise -- send one of those cones to Moldin' Oldies and get a couple of hollow resin cones made up, then find a simple BC-7 series conical to finish the front section. It would be much simpler to start with a hollow cone and cut the front off to push a piece of ST-5 through, instead of trying to hollow out a solid piece of balsa that will probably break before you can complete the bore.

But don't let my sour note discourage you. I'm just thinking out loud about what the builder will have to accomplish to get this bird built. It's an interesting design, simple in appearance yet very complex in construction. I'd give it at least a Skill Level 4, if the builder has to do the bore. Skill Level 1 or 2 tops if the bore is done for him/her.

Don't forget to add a thrust block inside that central ST-5 core tube...

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635
Old 06-04-2006, 03:50 PM
Master Modeler

Thumbs up RE: Tau Tau

Quote:
Alternate compromise -- send one of those cones to Moldin' Oldies and get a couple of hollow resin cones made up, then find a simple BC-7 series conical to finish the front section. It would be much simpler to start with a hollow cone and cut the front off to push a piece of ST-5 through, instead of trying to hollow out a solid piece of balsa that will probably break before you can complete the bore.

I Totally agree with you Craig that the design would be much easier made from a PNC than Balsa. Just whip out the old Exacto backsaw and files and start chopping. I was having trouble figuring out how to re-attach the chopped nose to the center BT though with the PNC idea. I stayed with the Balsa version and planned on just gluing the tube coupler to the chopped nose cone for connection.

Quote:
And you imply that MY design will need Carl's help!

Sheeesh!

Craig, I still consider you my #1 Pal and Mentor, JP

James Pierson
NAR# 77907
Old 06-04-2006, 10:35 PM
Incurable SEMROC Fan

Talking 250+ Designs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPMcGraw
Craig, nothing personal, but let's not, pending the TZ's potential release by Semroc.

Although the Prometheus performed so surprisingly well, I'm tempted to offer that design to Carl as well... *BUT* I *DID* submit it to BARCLONE first. So I think I need to stick by my word there.

(thinking hard) Although Carl *did* pick up your BARCLONE Stryker... Well, keep Prometheus on your list, but not Tau Zero.

You may be intrigued to know that I'm dabbling with a derivative of your Tau Beta... So I'd like to reserve the name "Tau Theta" at this time.

Thanks again, and cheers,

--Jay
Semroc SAM #0029
NAR 86131

"I think about organizing things all the time. Never seems to happen. I find something that piques my interest and I'm off on a quest. Or a Centuri. "

--Bill Eichelberger, 02/22/2022

“Centuri fret buzz in an updated form.”
Bill “Wallyum” Eichelberger re: Estes Flutter-By
03 Sept 2014
Old 06-04-2006, 10:50 PM
Incurable SEMROC Fan

Talking "Getcher 'Tau Tau's' here..."

Quote:
I really like Jay's Tau nose cone as well however, I have been reluctant to post this next design for fear of offending Jay, as I consider him a pal.
(Belly laugh) --About the offending.

Quote:
We may have even met once at NSL 2001 in Tooele, Utah as I was there and so was Jay.
Do you remember the guy dragging the TV camera and tripod around? That was me. I also showed up carrying my gear in one of Nadine Kinney's pictures ("Photos by Nadine"), which she shot from the "opposite" side of the flight line. But I can't find those pics just now. I hope they survived the Great Basement Flood of 2005 (June 21st).

What's* really* funny is I wore my NSL 2001 "Pony Express Range" T-shirt just yesterday. (See below. Fresh out of the dryer!)

Quote:
But, what are friends for if they can't take a little poke now and again.
(PARENT'S VOICE) "James? You'll poke your eye out with that thing!"

Quote:
He might even like Tau Tau. So here it is.

Thanks for the inspiration Jay, and Thanks all.
That *is* a pretty interesting concept, but I have an old Estes Honest John nose cone that gave me an idea on how to fix this scenario. I'll have to take some pictures and get back to this thread later in the week, though.

Glad you like it!

Cheers,

--Jay
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  NSL2001_ShirtLogo_DSCF1034.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  140.2 KB  
Semroc SAM #0029
NAR 86131

"I think about organizing things all the time. Never seems to happen. I find something that piques my interest and I'm off on a quest. Or a Centuri. "

--Bill Eichelberger, 02/22/2022

“Centuri fret buzz in an updated form.”
Bill “Wallyum” Eichelberger re: Estes Flutter-By
03 Sept 2014

Last edited by CenturiGuy : 06-04-2006 at 11:09 PM.
Old 06-05-2006, 12:10 AM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Quote:
Originally Posted by CenturiGuy
Craig, nothing personal, but let's not, pending the TZ's potential release by Semroc.

No problem. I remembered you saying you didn't want it "Open Source" at this time...

Quote:
Although the Prometheus performed so surprisingly well, I'm tempted to offer that design to Carl as well... *BUT* I *DID* submit it to BARCLONE first. So I think I need to stick by my word there.

(thinking hard) Although Carl *did* pick up your BARCLONE Stryker... Well, keep Prometheus on your list, but not Tau Zero.

Aside from the fin set, what do you know that I don't?

Quote:
You may be intrigued to know that I'm dabbling with a derivative of your Tau Beta... So I'd like to reserve the name "Tau Theta" at this time.

Thanks again, and cheers,

--Jay

Done. Tau Theta is yours.

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635
Closed Thread