Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2008, 04:54 PM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus
"How to solder" movies by the friendly folks at NASA.
NASA has to teach their employees how to solder? What do they teach in schools these days?

Anyhow, the clip and wire has to melt the solder. Pinch the wire in the clip, hold the iron against the clip right where the wire is, and hold the solder next to this spot. When the clip starts to melt the solder, you're good to go. Use a thin 60/40 (lead/tin) rosin-core solder, you don't need separate flux. A *good* battery operated iron like a WAHL ISO-TIP will work fine, but a plug in that works well is much cheaper. A basic pencil type iron should be under $10, and that is all you need for this kind of work.
NAR #87246 www.wooshrocketry.org
Old 02-21-2008, 05:01 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanstevens
You mean you didn't solder the fins on that Empire Bomarc a few years ago?

[runs ducking for cover beneath a rocket garbage can...]

I should have soldered it to your pad. At least the walk to fight the fire would have been shorter.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Mini Dactyl Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Marauder, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Groonie Der V 1/2
Old 02-22-2008, 09:14 AM
Old Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulK
NASA has to teach their employees how to solder? What do they teach in schools these days?

Yup!! When I was a technician working for Motorola Government Electronics Group (Now General Dynamics C4) I had to take a 1 week soldering class in order to be able to solder parts to test wires on space rated units I was testing.
Old 02-22-2008, 09:22 AM
Administrator

Same for me in the Navy. It wasn't until I got to NAS Whidbey Island and I went to schools on the A-6 that I went to electrical connector repair. It was a one week school on soldering as well as the connector repair. I still have and refer to my text book from that class.
Old 02-22-2008, 09:24 AM
Member in Good Standing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulK

Anyhow, the clip and wire has to melt the solder. Pinch the wire in the clip, hold the iron against the clip right where the wire is, and hold the solder next to this spot. When the clip starts to melt the solder, you're good to go. Use a thin 60/40 (lead/tin) rosin-core solder, you don't need separate flux. A *good* battery operated iron like a WAHL ISO-TIP will work fine, but a plug in that works well is much cheaper. A basic pencil type iron should be under $10, and that is all you need for this kind of work.

Ummm, the FAA technicians have a school for soldering, and they get a certificate for it. Wow. That being said, for what we do, a Good 25 watt soldering iron works quite well. Keep the tip well tinned.
i