Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Plans & Publications
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 08-29-2013, 09:47 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmacklin
You are most welcome.

Hmmm, "....a little while back". Like how long ago? The reason I ask is I haven't or seen much about him in a good while. He seemed to have vanished from the mid-nineties until he published his masterpiece in 2004. I wonder, is he writing another book?
I just looked through my e-mail "Inbox," and it was in May, 2011. His e-mail address was (and hopefully still is): d.sleeter@roadrunner.com . He said that he still had a box of the sugar rocket pamphlets. I may yet make a batch of the little sugar motors (the pamphlet includes instructions for a little "motor batch production board") so that I can have the equivalent--or near-equivalent--of A3-6T motors. I'm also increasingly interested in the sugar motors' potential (if made with a narrow case and an end-burning grain) as replacements for Dr. Z's (Dr. Jan Zigmund's) Rapier single-use jet motors, for use in Jetex-type Free-Flight model jet planes.
http://www.lulu.com/product/cd/what...of-2%29/6126511
All of my book proceeds go to the Northcote Heavy Horse Centre www.northcotehorses.com.
NAR #54895 SR
Old 08-29-2013, 11:20 PM
Almost shovel ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackshire
I just looked through my e-mail "Inbox," and it was in May, 2011. His e-mail address was (and hopefully still is): d.sleeter@roadrunner.com . He said that he still had a box of the sugar rocket pamphlets. I may yet make a batch of the little sugar motors (the pamphlet includes instructions for a little "motor batch production board") so that I can have the equivalent--or near-equivalent--of A3-6T motors. I'm also increasingly interested in the sugar motors' potential (if made with a narrow case and an end-burning grain) as replacements for Dr. Z's (Dr. Jan Zigmund's) Rapier single-use jet motors, for use in Jetex-type Free-Flight model jet planes.

My how time flies!

I have a couple of email addresses for David and that one rings a bell. I think I'll drop him a note just for the hell of it. Thanks!

I don't know if an endburning grain will work with sugar and saltpeter. You'll notice in my video that the thrust portion of the burn only took about 0.75 of a second, followed by a long delay with zero thrust. The thrust happened while the core grain burned and it took about 5 or 6 seconds to burn the remaining 1/2 inch comprising the delay. That's a pretty slow burn when one considers that an Estes C6 goes through about 1.5 inches of BP grain in only 1.8 seconds.

One way to find out.
Old 08-30-2013, 03:33 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
My how time flies!

I have a couple of email addresses for David and that one rings a bell. I think I'll drop him a note just for the hell of it. Thanks!

I don't know if an endburning grain will work with sugar and saltpeter. You'll notice in my video that the thrust portion of the burn only took about 0.75 of a second, followed by a long delay with zero thrust. The thrust happened while the core grain burned and it took about 5 or 6 seconds to burn the remaining 1/2 inch comprising the delay. That's a pretty slow burn when one considers that an Estes C6 goes through about 1.5 inches of BP grain in only 1.8 seconds.

One way to find out.
You're most welcome. I haven't viewed the video yet (I have a dial-up connection). Maybe adding a little sulfur to the sugar propellant would slow its burning rate (I believe Dr. Z uses sulfur in his Rapier motors' propellant to do that). Hmmm...an easily-reproducible jet motor design based on the five-cent sugar rockets would enable David to sell another book (he could self-publish it [Print-On-Demand] at no cost)...
http://www.lulu.com/product/cd/what...of-2%29/6126511
All of my book proceeds go to the Northcote Heavy Horse Centre www.northcotehorses.com.
NAR #54895 SR
Old 08-30-2013, 11:08 AM
Craftsman

I made a whole bunch of Sleeters BP cored motors using his first book. He had worked out BP compositions that increased in power by adding more sulfur. Most of the motors I made used a 3% sulfur content.

Last edited by JohnNGA : 02-28-2014 at 10:04 PM.
Old 08-30-2013, 01:59 PM
Almost shovel ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnNGA
I made a whole bunch of Sleeters BP cored motors using his first book. He had worked out BP compositions that increased in power by adding more sulfur. Most of the motors I made used a 3% sulfur content.

I tried to purchase his original book, "Building Your Own Rocket Motors", back in the early 1990's in response to a classified ad I spotted in a RC magazine. It wasn't until years later that I obtained a copy of that work from an Ebay seller. I paid $15.00 and got a pristine copy.

His recent book, "Amateur Rocket Motor Construction" is much more thorough, to which Mr. Sleeter would agree. Dr. John Steinberg, president of PGI, wrote a glowing review on Sleeter's book in 2004. I wish I had more time to devote to building his motors and making the specialized tools that they require.

There have also been a number of rip-off pamphlets spawned by Sleeter's first book set, in particular by a now defunct pyro chemical supplier from Pennsylvania who got busted by a federal judge for violating a court ordered consent decree. The dude got six months in the federal slammer and his customers, including me, got a nasty threat letter from the DOJ when they went through his customer list. Yes, Big Brother never sleeps.

Last edited by tmacklin : 09-01-2013 at 10:07 AM. Reason: Correction re: name of book reviewer
Old 08-30-2013, 09:07 PM
Craftsman

Quote:
I tried to purchase his original book, "Building Your Own Rocket Motors", back in the early 1990's in response to a classified ad I spotted in a RC magazine. It wasn't until years later that I obtained a copy of that work from an Ebay seller. I paid $15.00 and got a pristine copy.

His recent book, "Amateur Rocket Motor Construction" is much more thorough, to which Mr. Sleeter would agree. Dr. Terry McCreary wrote a glowing review on Sleeter's book. I wish I had more time to devote to building his motors and making the specialized tools that they require.

There have also been a number of rip-off pamphlets spawned by Sleeter's first book set, in particular by a now defunct pyro chemical supplier from Pennsylvania who got busted by a federal judge for violating a court ordered consent decree. The dude got six months in the federal slammer and his customers, including me, got a nasty threat letter from the DOJ when they went through his customer list. Yes, Big Brother never sleeps.

I've lost the original book, but still have the supplements for the large motors. I bought some plastic type firework nosecones from a company, heard later they were having some legal issues. Won't do that anymore. I also have his recent book (good stuff)
Old 08-30-2013, 09:21 PM
Almost shovel ready

Quote:
I've lost the original book, but still have the supplements for the large motors. I bought some plastic type firework nosecones from a company up in the NW, heard later they were having some legal issues. Won't do that anymore. I also have his recent book (good stuff)

The Consumer Products Safety Commission (CPSC) is/has been on a crusade against fireworks in general and online chemical dealers in particular. They even put length restrictions on paper tubes sold by Firefox up in Idaho. Ten inches and longer is OK; shorter than ten is a no-no, as if illegal fireworks makers couldn't figure out how to cut them!

I once had a girlfriend who thought the same way....
Old 08-30-2013, 11:29 PM
Banned

I have BOTH books in PDF format . . .

Anyone that is interested , drop me an E-Mail and I can send you a disk.

The TELEFLITE manual is 13 MB ( That can be E-Mailed ) and the Amateur Rocket Motor Construction book is 194 MB (515 pages),

Ez2cDave@aol.com
Old 08-30-2013, 11:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
I've lost the original book, but still have the supplements for the large motors. I bought some plastic type firework nosecones from a company, heard later they were having some legal issues. Won't do that anymore. I also have his recent book (good stuff)

If you can Scan the supplements, I can send you a PDF of the entire TELEFLITE Motor Book. We can exchange info via E-Mail.

I have MANY different publications and other information . . .

Ezc2Dave@aol.com

The TOTAL ARCHIVE is 715 MB of DATA . . . Available on DVD ( 1,716 files, in 60 Folders ) . . .

Last edited by Ez2cDave : 08-31-2013 at 11:42 AM.
Old 08-31-2013, 02:09 PM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ez2cDave

If you can Scan the supplements, I can send you a PDF of the entire TELEFLITE Motor Book. We can exchange info via E-Mail.

I have MANY different publications and other information . . .

Ezc2Dave@aol.com

The TOTAL ARCHIVE is 715 MB of DATA . . . Available on DVD ( 1,716 files, in 60 Folders ) . . .

I will have to get into the basement and dig that paper work out...is there any copy right issues involved?