Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > BARCLONE > Designer's Studio
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 08-06-2006, 01:14 PM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Exclamation LOC Viper IV Simulation File

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaquin
Do you have a RockSim file for the Viper IV standard kit that you could post? I'd like to build 4 dummy motor tubes into the design to make it two stage and see what the DV's and altitudes are with 4 D12-0's staged to 4 D12-5(7)'s.

I didn't have the original Viper IV simulated, so I went into the dungeon and pulled out the original fins. See attached. There is a big difference at the top end...

I haven't found a suitable high-end "E" or "F" motor that has a suitable time delay. I suppose you could customize a reload delay chain to get the optimum deployment time...

The G55-15 is a sweet motor, though. Four of these park it over 6600'...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  LOC Viper IV 2D.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  27.5 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  LOC Viper IV 3D.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  37.3 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  LOC Viper IV Fin Outline.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  50.4 KB  
Attached Files
File Type: rkt LOC Viper IV.rkt (85.4 KB, 90 views)

BARCLONE Rocketry -- http://barclone.rocketshoppe.com
BARCLONE Blogsite -- http://barclone.wordpress.com
BARCLONE Forum -- BARCLONE Forum

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635
Old 08-06-2006, 01:30 PM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Exclamation Revised Plan -- ViperJet 4256 Mk II

Here's a revised version, with the fins rotated back to the original Viper IV locations between the motor tubes. The simulation runs represent combinations of composite reloads that fit the 24mm tubes.

Enjoy!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  ViperJet 4256 Mk II 3D.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  38.7 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  ViperJet 4256 Mk II 2D.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  29.4 KB  
Attached Files
File Type: rkt ViperJet 4256 Mk II.rkt (68.4 KB, 96 views)

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635
Old 08-06-2006, 03:12 PM
The_Ripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPMcGraw
I didn't have the original Viper IV simulated, so I went into the dungeon and pulled out the original fins. See attached. There is a big difference at the top end...

I haven't found a suitable high-end "E" or "F" motor that has a suitable time delay. I suppose you could customize a reload delay chain to get the optimum deployment time...

Hey thanks Craig. I appreciate you putting that RockSim file and those patterns together for me! I'm going to try to sim it like my friend flys his at our field, chad staged. There is a lot of fin area with that kit and it's a pretty stable design.

I'm with you. Optimum deployment time with this rocket is more critical because that size Loc tube will zipper easier than others because of the thinner wall thickness.

I still have (3) G55-10 motors left that I've been saving in my range box for a few years now. I flew a cluster of (3) G55-10's in an EnerJet 2650 clone I built from that same dia Loc tubing and even though only two of the three motors lit it still pushed that rocket to a respectable altitude but I did zipper the tube on that flight. I have a picture of that flight posted in another thread:

http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/atta...tachmentid=2748

If I could have ignited all the motors in that cluster that flight would have been equal to a 375ns "I" motor with almost a 2-1/2 sec burn. G55's are sweet indeed
SAM# 0052

🚀 In Construction: Der Blue Maxx/Minie-Magg 5.5” & Vander-Burn MDRM Clone w/Stickershock23 Custom Decals
🚀 In Paint & Detail: USR Banshee
🚀 In Build Queue: Estes Doorknob w/Vander-Burn Rocketry Upgrade Kit [Sport Decor], Semroc Centurion-F, Semroc Egg Crate
🚀 In Repair: SLS Lil’ Hustler, SLS Aero-Dart 1969 Trim
🚀 Stay Tuned For Fall 2021 Launch Dates
Old 08-06-2006, 04:40 PM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaquin
I'm with you. Optimum deployment time with this rocket is more critical because that size Loc tube will zipper easier than others because of the thinner wall thickness.

Steve,

What's a good weight value for an electronics package, all-up? I've been wanting some kind of "mass value" to save in the RockSim database for HPR future projects, but I'm not certain the current measurements in the database are "complete", as in, does the weight shown include batteries and pyro holders and "other stuff"?

What's a good "ballpark" figure?

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635
Old 08-06-2006, 05:44 PM
The_Ripper

Quote:
Steve,

What's a good weight value for an electronics package, all-up? I've been wanting some kind of "mass value" to save in the RockSim database for HPR future projects, but I'm not certain the current measurements in the database are "complete", as in, does the weight shown include batteries and pyro holders and "other stuff"?

What's a good "ballpark" figure?

I use the PerfectFlite miniAlt/WD. A PerfectFlite miniAlt/WD Altimeter & 9v battery I plug in 2.293 oz in my RockSim designs. I also use one or two (for single or dual deploy) of the QuickBurst EZ small ejection canisters and I just weighed one of those at .2 oz on my scale. I'd add a couple of grams of black powder to that and you should have a real close estimate to ballpark it.

That's what I use. I'll look through my RockSim designs. I have actual weights for the Loc 3" and 4" electronics bays in a couple of the Loc rockets I built. I'll get that for you.

Edit:

Ok, I also weighed one of the QuickBurst EZ large ejection canisters. Those are .6 oz each. The only project I ever used the large ejection canisters with was 5.5" in dia. The small canisters as a rule will generally work well with up to 4" dia. airframes.

Just FYI and to give you some idea of how Loc sets up their electroics bays, I attached a file for a 3" diameter rocket I built that was designed with one from Loc. To sim the altimeter in the design, I center it in the middle of the electronics bay as a mass object. It's pretty much centered on the little plywood board they give you anyhow. The mass item in the design marked as "EB-3.00 Hardware & Additional Components" is all the 1/4-20 hardware, nuts, plywood board ect. - really everything else other than the bulkheads and couplers. I just center that mass object too since those parts would pretty much balance at the cg of the bay.

I guess to sum it up if you are flying your electronics package in a payload section instead of an electronics bay you'll probably want to add mass objects for at least the altimeter and battery, one or two of those disposable ejection canisters, 1 - 2.5 grams of black powder in each canister and a small plywood sled or weigh some foam rubber if you decide to let the altimter ride without mounting it

Attached Files
File Type: rkt LOC PK-67 HyperLoc 300.RKT (52.5 KB, 89 views)
SAM# 0052

🚀 In Construction: Der Blue Maxx/Minie-Magg 5.5” & Vander-Burn MDRM Clone w/Stickershock23 Custom Decals
🚀 In Build Queue: Estes Doorknob w/Vander-Burn Rocketry Upgrade Kit [Sport Decor], Semroc Centurion-F, Semroc Egg Crate

Last edited by snaquin : 08-06-2006 at 06:18 PM.
Old 08-07-2006, 07:01 PM
Master Modeler

Lightbulb New Design: Upscale Mini Jet #4

Here is an upscale of my favortie, Mini Jet #4, or should we now call it a Maxi Jet?? It flies on alot of 18mm motors and I am too lazy to,post the Stats.

Enjoy and Thanks Again, JP

James Pierson
NAR# 77907
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  Upscale of Mini Jet #4 Image.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  10.6 KB  
Attached Files
File Type: rkt Upscale of Mini Jet #4 18mm.rkt (75.9 KB, 107 views)
Old 08-07-2006, 10:33 PM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Pierson
Here is an upscale of my favortie, Mini Jet #4, or should we now call it a Maxi Jet?? It flies on alot of 18mm motors and I am too lazy to,post the Stats.

James Pierson
NAR# 77907

Call it a "Midi Jet #4" -- Maxi Jet #4 will use the 24mm motors...

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635
Old 08-08-2006, 07:09 PM
The_Ripper

Quote:

Craig

Well, I ran a sim with the chad staged D12-0 to D12-7 in the design. A good friend of mine has flown that set up several time at local and national launches but I was surprised that it really isn't such a great performer with that set up. It only sims to 2,033 feet chad staged (simulation #6). I left the original flight data from your standard flight profiles and it would appear to make more sense to just fly it with a cluster of four E9's to 1,657 feet .....

It was pretty cool to watch but that cost of an additional four D12's is only working out to an extra 376 feet in altitude
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  LocIV Chad Staged D12-0 to D12-7.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  126.1 KB  
SAM# 0052

Old 08-09-2006, 09:35 PM
Master Modeler

Default New Design: Cargo Star Transport

Here is a new design I call the Cargo Star Transport. I had originally named this design the Space Truck but that sounded too un-rocket like. I really like the Two BT-20 tube fins with the BT-60 rings around them. I plan on using this fin design more in the future on some other designs. This one is also a park fiier as it uses 13mm motors.

James Pierson
NAR# 77907
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  Cargo Star Tranport Image.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  12.9 KB  
Attached Files
File Type: rkt Cargo Star Transport.rkt (56.7 KB, 87 views)
Old 08-10-2006, 07:38 AM
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Pierson
Here is a new design I call the Cargo Star Transport. I had originally named this design the Space Truck but that sounded too un-rocket like. I really like the Two BT-20 tube fins with the BT-60 rings around them. I plan on using this fin design more in the future on some other designs. This one is also a park fiier as it uses 13mm motors.

I must say, you have quite the imagination, James! You've come up with some really cool looking designs.
Ye Olde Rocket Forum
WOOSH NAR Section #558
Closed Thread