Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Model Rocket History
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 12-17-2015, 12:12 PM
Retired Missile Technician

I started posting a reply and the computer locked up. A good thing as I got to take a break to attempt to find some information.

John - I do not have a Krueger motor in my collection. Do not recall seeing one. G. Harry Stine wrote articles in American Aircraft Modeling and I "thought" that he mentioned them.
Realized that it must have been Kell (or Krell?) motors. I could not find any reference to them or an ad that I seem to recall is either Krueger or Kell. I thought that an article mentioned the Kell motors had been demonstrated at NARAM 8 or 9. Their claim to fame was a choice of red, yellow, or black tracking smoke. Do not think they were ever available.
Years ago the late Carl McLawhorn of SEMROC told me that they had looked at color delays, but the chemicals did not make it worth the effort. Anyway, I recall seeing an old ad for a brand of motors. Had a drawing of a rocket with a corkscrew smoke trail. Could have been for Krueger or Kell. Still looking for it.

Chris - The AVI Gold series motors (note the yellow delay housing) were commercially available. Their market was limited as they were aimed at competition and cost more than motors of the same impulse. Like a lot of modelers I found them to be reliable, but not something you would fly just for grins due to cost.
AVI produced a newsprint catalog in 1978 called the Encyclog 78. It was in several sections are offered their line of products, other rocketry lines, science oriented products, building supplies, and even doll houses. Sort of the Amazon or Hobbylinc of its day. My copy is worn and torn. Haven't looked at it in a long time as it is fragile.

Thanks to all for the kind words.

Chas
Old 12-17-2015, 03:27 PM
7/21/61

Chas,

Great stuff! When you get a chance please post more.

I pinged Taras for some comments about the Canaroc motors.

I did fly some of the Ellis motors and really liked them, was very sorry to see them go.

Before he passed away Carl was working on some 10 mm A motors for the U.S. team, but had problems with burn-through with the tiny cases and long delays. It was so typical of Carl to put time into that just to help out the team. There was really no financial case to be made for making those motors but he put a lot of effort into it any way.

Steve
Old 12-17-2015, 05:47 PM
Junior Rocketeer

If my memory is correct, the Krueger motors that I bought were made using shotgun shells for casings.
Happy Holidays to All,
Ed
Old 12-17-2015, 05:50 PM
Freeform rocketry advocate.

Location: Claremont, CA "The intellectual capitol of the world."-WSJ

John Krell was Plasmajet.
Old 12-17-2015, 05:54 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Irvine
John Krell was Plasmajet.

Didn't Plasmajet have a TRA magazine ad with Korey Kline warming his hands to mach diamonds?
Old 12-17-2015, 06:39 PM

tbzep,

I remember a holiday card that I got showing Scott Dixon of Vulcan warming his hands in front of a large, burning motor. The look on his face was priceless. I will try to find it.

Chas
Old 12-17-2015, 08:09 PM
NAR # 19250 - Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas Russell
In these two photos are the large black powder motors available in the 1960s. The bottom two are Coasters.

A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away . . .

Actually it was the East Coast Regional Meet (ECRM, pronounced "eck-ram") in 1975, Sunday afternoon. The contest was winding down, and I was packing up my stuff, when I suddenly heard what was the LOUDEST roar I'd heard on a model rocket range. I turned around, looked at the launch site and saw a big orange rocket roaring aloft with an immense smoke plume trailing behind it.

After the chute ejected, I saw my Jedi Master, Terry Lee, walking to recover it. I went out and intercepted him on his way back after recovery.

"Terry, what motor was that?"

"It was a Coaster motor, Bunny Rabbit. Last one I had. . . "
A dark night in a city that knows how to keep its secrets. But high above the quiet streets on the 12th floor of the Acme Building, one man is still trying to find the answers to life's persistent questions. Guy Noir, Private Eye.

Fox Valley Rocketeers: http://www.foxvalleyrocketeers.org
Old 12-17-2015, 09:37 PM

Bunny commented:

General Terry Lee drawled: "It was a Coaster motor, Bunny Rabbit. Last one I had. . . "

Thus answering the age old question...

"Who Flew the Coaster..."

Inside joke from NAR Trustees...

Ain't I a stinker?

Chas
Old 12-18-2015, 05:10 AM
Freeform rocketry advocate.

Location: Claremont, CA "The intellectual capitol of the world."-WSJ

At Claremont Rocket Society we were a dealer for AVI and ordered what I suspect is the widest variety anybody has ever seen. They had tiny 1/8A to strangely shaped C and D to a BP E and F, each with separate delay section glued in to the end. They were surprisingly reliable and mostly not high thrust. In hindsight I sure which I took more photos of them, but actually experiencing them was pretty cool. We had hundreds of them over the years they were being made. At some point they simply stopped making them and our orders went unanswered.

Jerry
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  00008_s_15ammwgy7p0008.2.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  221.8 KB  
Old 12-18-2015, 09:04 AM
Master Modeler

I flew a few of those AVI "Gold Line" motors. The big E and F motors fit in AVI's 35mm tube! (There was a 24mm E as well.)

They were unusual for the time in that they were squarely in between FSI F7 (far too flabby for general use) and the FSI F100 (WHACK!). End burners, but with enough of a kick to get a rocket moving.

I flew perhaps 3-4 of the E and F motors in a 35mm rocket with a AVI/MPC Nike Smoke nose cone.

Never saw a Coaster or Mini-Max motor in action. I flew lots and lots and lots of FSI F100 (clustered, staged, singleton, tandem) and Rocketflite BP motors.

The last runs of Rocketflite motors had problems, but Oh Man were they great. The SilverStreak H220 -- a BLACK POWDER H!!!! -- was an awesome thing. Also great at setting grass fires . . .
NAR #27085 - Oregon Rocketry - SAM