Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Plans & Publications
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 07-02-2007, 08:51 AM
Junior Rocketeer

Default Question about Estes Sandhawk

I am a BAR who recently purchased one of my favourite rockets when I was younger - the Sandhawk. On the package it lists the kit as number K-51 and the recommended engine is the D-13-5 (or B4-2 and C6-3 with an adaptor of some sorts). I am wondering if I could use a D12-5 instead? I did notice on-line that in some of the later versions (late 70's) of the Estes catalogue it listed the recommended engine as the D12-5 (and not the D 13-5). Any feedbback would be appreciated.
Old 07-02-2007, 09:05 AM
Retired Missile Technician

PT,

The D13 was the first 24mm motor offered by Estes. Problems with the design often led to failures that earned the motor the name of the D-KaBoom! Estes derated the motor a bit and, IIRC reduced the core length to produce the D12. A D12-5 would work in the Sandhawk. Unless you have a large recovery area, you might want to use the C6-3 for the first couple of fligjts.
Where are you located? There might be others on this forum near you or a club.

Chas
Old 07-02-2007, 09:14 AM
Junior Rocketeer

Thanks Chas. Glad I can use the D12-5. If I want to use a C6-3, what type of adapter should I purchase?
I live in Montreal but fly in Stowe, Vermont. I am not sure if there are any clubs in that area?
Old 07-02-2007, 10:06 AM
Retired Missile Technician

Champlain Region Model Rocket Club (VT) #643
John D. Goodman
21 East Road
Colchester VT 05446
Phone : (802) 879-3983

Don't know if that helps. You might contact the Canadian Association of Rocketry to see if they have any sections in the Montreal area.

Many small manufacturers carry adapters, which are essentially a motor mount that would fit in the Sandhawk motor mount. Try SEMROC, Fliskits, or Sunward. The CHeap And Dirty (CHAD) method is to take an expended D12 casing (if you have one), clean out the residue , and expand the nozzle. Put it in the Sandhawk with the nozzle end forward. You would have to fiction fit the C into the casing as there wouldn't be a motor hook. I believe that the mentioned companies would be more than happy to sell you what you need (and much more!).

Chas