Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2011, 05:52 PM
Craftsman

Default Two More Newins!

Still goin at it and havin FUN! ...A D/E powered ASP Wac Corporal, and a D powered BB....kinda did up the BB to look a little "WACISH" Im just havin TOO MUCH FUN...........!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  2011WNATS! 024.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  323.7 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  2011WNATS! 025.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  319.1 KB  
Old 02-10-2011, 06:05 PM
Rocket Dad

I like it. I combined the two for a club member friend of mine. I renamed it "Wac Bertha"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  WacBertha.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  43.3 KB  
Old 02-10-2011, 06:09 PM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Cheapo
I like it. I combined the two for a club member friend of mine. I renamed it "Wac Bertha"

That is VERY COOL INDEED! Really CLEAN lines! Bet it flew good too!
Old 02-10-2011, 06:20 PM
BARCLONE Rocketry

I also detect a passing interest in RC helicopters...

It's just a fad...

Nice work!

BARCLONE Rocketry -- http://barclone.rocketshoppe.com
BARCLONE Blogsite -- http://barclone.wordpress.com
BARCLONE Forum -- BARCLONE Forum

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635
Old 02-10-2011, 06:59 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPMcGraw
I also detect a passing interest in RC helicopters...

It's just a fad...

Nice work!

Boats and planes and helis, oh my!
"The complexity of living is eminently favored to the simplicity of not."
Old 02-10-2011, 07:40 PM
Craftsman

The Helis are "oldies", but are still very flyable, though i havent flown them in a llloonng time! Same with some of the planes......I dont see much of a chance of retiring in the future, so im just gonna enjoy each day till i drop dead! I think thats why im enjoying building and flying rockets so much....not so much electronics and mechanics...dont want to say simpler, just cheaper and more straight forward.....there are so many more builds ive got dancin around in my head, then visualizing the launch and recovery of each one! Crack/Cocain's got nothin on this stuff! Thanks for the kind words!
Old 02-13-2011, 03:12 PM
Retired BAR!

Hello to everyone on the forum, new guy checking in with first post. I'm retired now and got bit by the rocketry bug in the early 60s. As with most hobbies, interests changed as I grew older and moved on to school, work and marriage. But, the bug was still there! I recently picked up a BB kit from the LHS and I'm itching to get start but had a few questions. I would like to upgrade it for D engines so I know I will need to change out the motor mount tube to BT50. Other than that, any other upgrades needed (shock cord/chute, fins etc)? Will it need nose weight? Thanks in advance from a new/old rocket addict!
Old 02-13-2011, 04:23 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain26
Hello to everyone on the forum, new guy checking in with first post. I'm retired now and got bit by the rocketry bug in the early 60s. As with most hobbies, interests changed as I grew older and moved on to school, work and marriage. But, the bug was still there! I recently picked up a BB kit from the LHS and I'm itching to get start but had a few questions. I would like to upgrade it for D engines so I know I will need to change out the motor mount tube to BT50. Other than that, any other upgrades needed (shock cord/chute, fins etc)? Will it need nose weight? Thanks in advance from a new/old rocket addict!

Welcome captain26! Sounds like you fall into the BAR (born again rocketeer) category. Many of us fall into that category.

You can't go wrong with the Estes Big Bertha. That rocket has been modified many times so the 24mm motor mount mod is doable. Just make sure you have enough space to launch and retrieve it. I modified one to fly on D/E engines, but I also lengthened the rocket as well. It really gets up there.

I'm not sure if you've seen the EMRR site yet, but it's got some great rocket review build information, including BB mods. You can find it here: http://www.rocketreviews.com/newindex.php

The modification is pretty simple, you replace the 18mm engine tube with a 24mm engine tube, replace the 18mm centering rings with 24mm centering rings, and replace the engine hook with one to accommodate D & E engines.

If the BB's are still shipping with the old rubber or even newer elastic waist band shock cords it wouldn't hurt to upgrade the shock cord to a Kevlar cord and attach that to the engine mount rather than the side of the rocket. Then attach the elastic cord to the Kevlar and attach the other end of the elastic cord to the nose cone.

I'm not sure if nose cone weight is needed or not with the stock rocket length... someone will weigh in I'm sure, but you can always check the CG after you build the rocket to be sure it's stable.

Hey maybe you could start a thread and post the build progress and maybe some pics of the build and flight are always great too.

Oh by the way, I'm not here just for the "olde" rocket discussions.
Old 02-13-2011, 05:10 PM
Retired Missile Technician

welcome captain26! In the future if you let us know your general location, often there are clubs or individuals that you could meet up with to fly.
The Big Bertha should handle a D12 without nose weight. After all, it was based on the Ranger which has a three motor cluster and payload section.
Kevlar, as recommended, is prefered as an anchor to the motor mount. Please be aware that it should either end as a loop a tad below the top of the tube or have a bead or tape "bumper" there if it extends past the tube. The kevlar will cut through the tube if the delay is too short or too long. Having something wider at the top of the tube helps to prevent that from happening. Elastic - quarter-inch or 3/8ths - after that for a couple of feet will help with recovery. It is better to have too much as too little may cause the nose cone to snap back and impact the end of the tube in what is referred to as an "Estes smile".

We are here to help!

Chas
Old 02-13-2011, 05:24 PM
Rocket Dad

As mentioned, kevlar is preferred but not necessary. The estes tri-fold mount will work just fine; however, I would recommend atleast doubling the length of the existing rubber/elastic shock cord. Replacement elastic cord can be found at most any place (Walmart, Michaels, Hobby Lobby, Joans, etc.) for a couple buck.