Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Kit Collecting
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 03-30-2022, 02:01 PM
Junior Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanHFox
OK, let me dig around for the MPC's. The Better Half & I are getting ready to move to a smaller place (empty nesters now, so this mausoleum can shelter a larger family like we used to have), so the collection has been packed for the move; but I was pretty methodical in keeping stuff together. Just need to find the "MPC" crate.
I have a few MPC kits but I'm aspiring to get the whole set if it's till possible.Would you have any info that could point me in the right direction? I'm also looking for COX model rockets, particularly the Nike Zeus, but that's seems virtually impossible to find.If you know anything give me a holler.
Old 03-30-2022, 02:10 PM
Junior Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanHFox
Makes me wonder what I could get for the full set of MPC's I have in the stash...

(including a Theta-Cajun)
Would you be willing to sell anything? Really interested in the MPC NIKE SMOKE.
Old 03-30-2022, 08:37 PM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skaffman

Barring finding someone who has kits to sell privately, probably your best bet is to keep watching eBay for MPC kit listings. While the number of listings for MPC kits are not quite what they used to be, they still pop up with good regularity and affordable prices.

For example here in this search on eBay: https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...w=little+joe+ii

Some of the hits here are of those newer releases that you probably are not interested in, but there are a handful of vintage hits in the list, including some of the Minirocs. For example there is a Flat Cat glider in those listings for just $31.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 03-31-2022, 07:04 AM
Old Canuck Modeller

Yes, Earl's list includes some decent value listings. Of course, there's always a few people with listings who think their kit is worth a small fortune. Beware of those.........the MPC kits are not rare. BTW, occasionally you will see vintage MPC kits for less than $20 opening bid, and sometimes they go for the opening bid. I recently saw an MPC Flat Cat go for $15 on a buy-it-now. The key is to be patient. Eventually these kits will rise in price as the available supply dries up.
Old 03-31-2022, 11:21 PM
Flying since 1977

OTOH, A lot of the people that would have bought the MPC kits when they were new are slowly dying off and fewer young people are interested in the hobby. So prices are likely to trend down. That has happened a bit in the older classic car market over the last few years.

Mike Toelle

NAR 31692 L1

SAM 0373
Old 04-01-2022, 08:41 AM
Incurable Model Rocketeer

Send a message via Yahoo to DeanHFox
Default Well...

Quote:
Well...

Not at the moment, but I promise when I kick the bucket that my wife is gonna have one heckuva garage sale!
NAR #53946SR

---- "Wherever you go, there you are"
Old 04-01-2022, 10:26 AM
Old Canuck Modeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwtoelle
OTOH, A lot of the people that would have bought the MPC kits when they were new are slowly dying off and fewer young people are interested in the hobby. So prices are likely to trend down. That has happened a bit in the older classic car market over the last few years.

Yeah, I saw that theory expressed for the first time 5-10 years ago. So far, hasn't happened. Have you seen some of the prices for vintage Estes kits lately? And I'm not talking the really old stuff.............even the Skill Level hangtag kits are going for crazy prices. And an Estes Saturn 1B, the 1970's version, just went for a whopping $305.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1340663785...AAOSwNd1iP4K N

That being said, I don't argue with your premise, I just think it's a longer way down the road than I previously did. And despite GH's opinion of the MPC and MRC kits above, I still feel that the MPC kits are good quality and marvellous value. And the MRC Concept line is outstanding in quality and features, IMHO surpassing both Estes and Centuri.
Old 04-01-2022, 07:01 PM
Flying since 1977

I built an MPC Taurus-1 kit a couple of years ago. I found the parts quality of the kit to be pretty good. I would be fairly sure that that vintage MPC kits from that era would have a similar parts quality.

The only MRC kit that I built was their Thermal Hawk glider. Since it is from the Concept II line, I would consider some of the other kits from that line as well. Providing that I could find one at a reasonable price. OOP kit pricing can be a little tricky at times.

Mike Toelle

NAR 31692 L1

SAM 0373
Old 04-01-2022, 09:28 PM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwtoelle
I built an MPC Taurus-1 kit a couple of years ago. I found the parts quality of the kit to be pretty good. I would be fairly sure that that vintage MPC kits from that era would have a similar parts quality.

The only MRC kit that I built was their Thermal Hawk glider. Since it is from the Concept II line, I would consider some of the other kits from that line as well. Providing that I could find one at a reasonable price. OOP kit pricing can be a little tricky at times.

I would agree with what you say. While I am not crazy about all the MPC *designs*, the quality of the kit components is pretty good.

On the MRC line, the Concept II line is VERY good and high quality. Better than the ‘average’ Estes kit or Centuri kit. However, the original MRC line is a only so-so. Probably their biggest downfall is very thin and flimsy body tubes. The rare exception is the Moon Blaster. I opened one of those here recently for scanning and building and the tubes on it (two different diameters, approx 2” and 1.6”) are pretty beefy.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 04-01-2022, 11:42 PM
CG to close to CP

Quote:

While not MPC, it is made from same molds, this Nike Smoke on Ebay is from Quest parts, which originated with the MPC molds, as I understand the linage.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3251241380...AAOSwxFVhNsI D