Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Kit Collecting
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 03-02-2022, 10:06 AM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
"Even wif yo mouf closed, you face be yellin' UG-LY!"
Back in the 80's on a beach trip, they ran All In The Family and Sanford & Son back to back on the afternoon. They're even funnier if you've been drinking Old Milwaukee since breakfast.

Old 03-02-2022, 10:06 AM
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe

Quote:
Originally Posted by koszu
Scott, It's included. It is shown in the last photo of the listing ( wrapped in corrugated cardboard )

You're right! I missed that photo. Thanks, Steve.
Ye Olde Rocket Forum
WOOSH NAR Section #558
Old 03-02-2022, 12:05 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo1986
Bernard, that transition looks a bit like the one used in the Saros.

The funny thing is....not only have I seen that transition before, I have two flying examples of a model that uses it (and two more in boxes). In this case it's molded in translucent blue, but I'm pretty sure it's the same molding. It's used in the recent release called Ghost Chaser.
AMA 42160
KG7AIE
Old 03-02-2022, 12:09 PM
Craftsman

[QUOTE=BEC] "Maybe not quite as rare or unusual but something I stumbled over after starting down the rabbit hole that Joe's post showed me: https://www.ebay.com/itm/3343449603...AAOSw0w1hs~b N"

Added this one (#1710) to the Estes Starter Kit list as "Boy Scout Space Exploration", available dates as ? and ?
Old 03-02-2022, 05:54 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Altschwager
[QUOTE=BEC] "Maybe not quite as rare or unusual but something I stumbled over after starting down the rabbit hole that Joe's post showed me: https://www.ebay.com/itm/3343449603...AAOSw0w1hs~b N"

Added this one (#1710) to the Estes Starter Kit list as "Boy Scout Space Exploration", available dates as ? and ?

Don, I really have no idea beyond the rough date range I speculated about, based on the style of the packaging I’d say ~2013-2019.

The online Scout shop doesn’t have any entry for it now.

The only picture of one built (besides the one in the eBay listing) I can find is in Bill Cooke’s blog here: https://billsrockets.blogspot.com/2...ml#comment-form

Based on what he says there, posting on August 31, 2018 and saying he’d gotten his “many moons ago” and that they were then discontinued, I’d revise that guess of availability to 2013-2016 or so. But it’s still just a guess.

Bill also says it’s a Ricochet with different livery. But the instructions for the Ricochet on the Estes web site, and indeed the nose cone and transition of the partially built-up Ricochet it turns out I have (see, Bill, you’re not the only one ) are balsa.
AMA 42160
KG7AIE
Old 03-02-2022, 06:38 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEC
Now I remember: Ricochet. https://estesrockets.com/wp-content...08_RICOCHET.pdf

It appears I mis-remembered the size of the Ricochet. That makes this Boy Scout model look even more like a Ricochet but with plastic parts in place of the balsa nose cone and reducer.

Looks like Jay and I were posting at about the same time....

Same plastic reducer as used in the #7244 Indicator - part number 072658. James Z. has the instructions for the #1710 Space Exploration on his site (surprisingly) http://www.spacemodeling.org/jimz/estes/est1710.pdf
and Estes has the #7244 Indicator instructions on their’s https://estesrockets.com/wp-content...ions/007244.pdf

The livery for the Space Exploration is rather nice - better than the Indicator’s or Ricochet’s face card scheme.
Old 03-02-2022, 06:46 PM
Apollo Nut

Bernard-

Copyright date on the decals for the link posted by Scott 650 for the Space Exloration Kit is 2013. Looks like your guess was pretty close. Of course, that doesn’t tell how long the kit was around, but your ‘ballpark’ may be pretty close.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 03-02-2022, 06:59 PM
Contest, Sport, it's all good......

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo1986
Scott, I looked for that too. Is it possible that MPC sold a launcher with an Estes-style flat metal blast plate for a time? It shows exactly that in the illustration on the Theta Cajun kit.

I had the MPC Pad. It had both the parabolic ceramic deflectors, AND a flat metal plate that was a bit larger in diameter than the ceramic deflector.

You can see a larger photo of it here, plus more about the whole pad:
http://modelrocketbuilding.blogspot...-part-4_14.html

The hollow ceramic deflector was fragile. I saw two break. One, dropped onto a hard surface.

The other, model did not take off, IIRC the nozzle blew, and the extremely hot gases caused such intense localized heat expansion that cracked it apart in several places.
Georges'CancerGoFundMe:
https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-geo...ay-fight-cancer
Old 03-02-2022, 10:34 PM
Apollo Nut

Here is a scan of the MPC Lunar Lectric launch pad assembly instructions from my scans. See page two. Metal plate and ceramic deflector as George points out.

Earl
Attached Files
File Type: pdf MPC Lunar Lectric Launch Pad-Instructions.pdf (753.6 KB, 21 views)
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 03-02-2022, 11:11 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgegassaway
The other, model did not take off, IIRC the nozzle blew, and the extremely hot gases caused such intense localized heat expansion that cracked it apart in several places.

....or it was cracked by being hit with the nozzle that blew. I've seen several small flower pots used in the same way (over a round metal blast defector) broken by CATOs that involved spitting a nozzle and at which the sound of the impact is clearly heard....

Just an alternate theory.
AMA 42160
KG7AIE