Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Semroc > SAM - Semroc Astronautic Modeler Team
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #41  
Old 02-26-2011, 01:17 PM
jharding58's Avatar
jharding58 jharding58 is offline
Master Modeler
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Kennesaw, GA
Posts: 1,936
Default

Quote:
I haven't figured out yet how to 'round the tip' of a conical section...

Digital sandpaper?
__________________
Gravity is a harsh mistress
SAM 002
NAR 91005
"The complexity of living is eminently favored to the simplicity of not."
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 02-26-2011, 01:23 PM
jharding58's Avatar
jharding58 jharding58 is offline
Master Modeler
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Kennesaw, GA
Posts: 1,936
Default

Take a look at BNC-20Y in the Designer. Carl went from conic to bezier to get the rounded tip.
__________________
Gravity is a harsh mistress
SAM 002
NAR 91005
"The complexity of living is eminently favored to the simplicity of not."
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 02-26-2011, 01:47 PM
CPMcGraw's Avatar
CPMcGraw CPMcGraw is offline
BARCLONE Rocketry
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Mobile, Alabama
Posts: 5,357
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jharding58
Take a look at BNC-20Y in the Designer. Carl went from conic to bezier to get the rounded tip.


I couldn't get that one to show up in the designer. When I tried to use bezier for the tip, the shape went everywhere except round. I changed it to power, and fiddled with it, but it still comes out looking like a cone.
__________________
Craig McGraw

BARCLONE Rocketry -- http://barclone.rocketshoppe.com
BARCLONE Blogsite -- http://barclone.wordpress.com
BARCLONE Forum -- BARCLONE Forum

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 02-26-2011, 03:50 PM
jharding58's Avatar
jharding58 jharding58 is offline
Master Modeler
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Kennesaw, GA
Posts: 1,936
Default

You can cause the BNC-20Y to point if the length is increased to more than 0.7. With the Bezier it requires the definition of the Control X1, Y1, X2, Y2 variables which I assume are the various control points. This would also work for the GEO SAT LV! If I could only figure out how to make Rocksim 9 do this

But the Designer is doing bizarre things today...

http://www.math.ucla.edu/~baker/149...s/bb_bezier.pdf
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  BNC-20YBZ1.JPG
Views: 5
Size:  34.1 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  BNC-20YBZ.JPG
Views: 6
Size:  35.8 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  BNC-60MX.JPG
Views: 9
Size:  44.3 KB  
__________________
Gravity is a harsh mistress
SAM 002
NAR 91005
"The complexity of living is eminently favored to the simplicity of not."

Last edited by jharding58 : 02-26-2011 at 04:42 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 02-26-2011, 07:31 PM
Mark II's Avatar
Mark II Mark II is offline
Forest Sprite
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Back Up in the Woods
Posts: 3,657
Default

I used the designer to upscale two nose cones and a transition. I saved them all in the public directory. One of the nose cones shows up twice, because I renamed it. BC-22547 and BC-22548 are the very same cone. Using Semroc nose cone numbering, BC-22548 is the more accurate name for it. It is a 175% upscale of the nose cone that I used for my FSI Maverick repro. The BR-225275 adds the missing and much-needed ( ) LT-225 to LT-275 transition. The BNC-80HEO is a 197% (roughly 200%) upscale of the nose cone that I used for my Eos repro. (This scale-up is gonna be big!) I very much want to get all three parts made, because they directly relate to projects that I am about to start. Just one more transition to add and then I'll be all set.

I followed Carl's suggestion to do the upscales; I simply multiplied every number in the designer for each part by the scale factor, and when I hit Refresh, by golly, there it was each time. Doing the calculations by hand before entering them in was no big deal. The one minor issue that I have with the Designer is that there is no way to exit back to the home page from it. I had to close the tab in my browser and then reload the Semroc Home page in a new tab in order to see my parts in the Custom Parts List. Oh, yeah, and also the lack of an "Add to cart" button.
__________________
Mark S. Kulka NAR #86134 L1,_ASTRE #471_Adirondack Mountains, NY
Opinions Unfettered by Logic Advice Unsullied by Erudition Rocketry Without Pity
+09281962-TAK-08272007+
SAM # 0011
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 02-26-2011, 07:35 PM
Carl@Semroc's Avatar
Carl@Semroc Carl@Semroc is offline
Junior ??? Rocketeer
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Knightdale, NC
Posts: 1,470
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jharding58
...But the Designer is doing bizarre things today...

Generally, the Control X2 is the same as the Length to get the tangent at the end point at a 90 degree angle on the final section. I have been working on the math to automatically make a spherical tip on an ogive or conical section with radius x. It is just slightly above my ability right now!
__________________
Carl McLawhorn
NAR#4717 L2
semroc.com
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 02-26-2011, 07:45 PM
Carl@Semroc's Avatar
Carl@Semroc Carl@Semroc is offline
Junior ??? Rocketeer
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Knightdale, NC
Posts: 1,470
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark II
I used the designer to upscale two nose cones and a transition. I saved them all in the public directory. One of the nose cones shows up twice, because I renamed it. BC-22547 and BC-22548 are the very same cone. Using Semroc nose cone numbering, BC-22548 is the more accurate name for it. It is a 175% upscale of the nose cone that I used for my FSI Maverick repro. The BR-225275 adds the missing and much-needed ( ) LT-225 to LT-275 transition. The BNC-80HEO is a 197% (roughly 200%) upscale of the nose cone that I used for my Eos repro. (This scale-up is gonna be big!) I very much want to get all three parts made, because they directly relate to projects that I am about to start. Just one more transition to add and then I'll be all set.

I followed Carl's suggestion to do the upscales; I simply multiplied every number in the designer for each part by the scale factor, and when I hit Refresh, by golly, there it was each time. Doing the calculations by hand before entering them in was no big deal. The one minor issue that I have with the Designer is that there is no way to exit back to the home page from it. I had to close the tab in my browser and then reload the Semroc Home page in a new tab in order to see my parts in the Custom Parts List. Oh, yeah, and also the lack of an "Add to cart" button.

In the works are:
1. Delete part.
2. Rename part.
3. Scale part from one Series to another Series (like Mark did, but without the math)
4. Lock part (finalize and release the part so no more changes can be made)... then
5. Add part to cart.
6. Back to home page.
7. View catalog (and return) from designer page.
8. Ability to search and filter entire catalog on catalog page (all public including Semroc)
9. Insert a section and delete a section.
10. Calculate tool travel to eliminate impossible-to-cut possibilities.
11. ... other suggestions!

Thanks for all your work wringing this out.
__________________
Carl McLawhorn
NAR#4717 L2
semroc.com
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 02-26-2011, 08:10 PM
jharding58's Avatar
jharding58 jharding58 is offline
Master Modeler
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Kennesaw, GA
Posts: 1,936
Default

62. Generate Rocksim component file.
__________________
Gravity is a harsh mistress
SAM 002
NAR 91005
"The complexity of living is eminently favored to the simplicity of not."
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 02-26-2011, 10:35 PM
Eagle3's Avatar
Eagle3 Eagle3 is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Manchester,MI
Posts: 1,262
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jharding58
62. Generate Rocksim component file.


Speaking of which.... is there a good rocksim library of Semroc parts. I tried searching EMRR yesterday and can't even find the old parts libraries from the previous ownership.


Great "in the works" list Carl!
__________________
Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 02-27-2011, 09:59 AM
Ltvscout's Avatar
Ltvscout Ltvscout is offline
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 5,984
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle3
Speaking of which.... is there a good rocksim library of Semroc parts. I tried searching EMRR yesterday and can't even find the old parts libraries from the previous ownership.

I'd bet Craig or Jay could set you up with the Semroc parts databases for RockSim.
__________________
Scott D. Hansen
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe - Your One Stop BAR Shoppe!
Ye Olde Rocket Plans - OOP Rocket Plans From 38 Companies!
Ye Olde Rocket Forum
WOOSH NAR Section #558
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:30 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe 1998-2021