Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Mission Control
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-09-2020, 07:21 PM
A Fish Named Wallyum's Avatar
A Fish Named Wallyum A Fish Named Wallyum is offline
BP Mafia
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Ft. Thomas, KY
Posts: 7,908
Default WSR launch, Saturday, November 7, 2020

__________________
Bill Eichelberger
NAR 79563

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: StickerShock Vader Max

In paint: Centuri Stellar Hercules, Estes Air Commander, Indicator, Long Tom, Luna Bug, Menace, Nike Apache, Ricochet, Solar Warrior FRW Kormoran AS.34, Maverick AGM-65B, Star Blazer XL Quest Intruder Red River Stratos, Semroc Cyber III, Excalibur, Firefly, S.P.E.V., Texas Firefly

Ready to fly: Semroc Point
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-09-2020, 08:29 PM
erik442's Avatar
erik442 erik442 is offline
The Alpha Kid
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: central PA
Posts: 275
Default

Great shots of the Pershing 1-A! I've never seen a real one.
Looks like you had a good day in the field.
I was hoping to take advantage of the weather to do some flying too, but other things got in the way.
The Ventris/Archer near miss-tangle up sounds entertaining.
Very nice flight report.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-09-2020, 10:47 PM
snaquin's Avatar
snaquin snaquin is offline
The_Ripper
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 1,933
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
Excellent blog post Bill
That first blue sky picture behind your Maxi Streak kinda says it all. Beautiful day. After this hurricane season Iíll take a blue sky any day!

So, first thing I do with one of your new blog posts is rush to scroll through and look at all the pretty pictures. I couldnít wait to get back to your black and yellow Vaughn Brothers VB Extreme until I went back to actually read the text and saw it was an HL exclusive Estes Vapor
What a nice looking bird, very sleek.

Wow a Red Max on the pad next to your Super Neon XL and itís not yours ... whatís up with that?

+1 to what Erik said love the Pershing that was also flown at the launch. When I was in high school a buddy of mine built and flew his Estes Pershing on a D12-3. That launch was more of a controlled lob than a flight. Looks like the E20W flight went great. I wouldnít consider [risk] a D12-3 flight on a beautiful rocket like that if it were mine.

Funny you mention the Semroc Lilí Hustler as a sentimental favorite for #200. My Lilí Hustler is a sentimental favorite too. Itís the oldest SLS rocket in my collection that is still flyable after all these years. When I pick it up and hold it in my hands itís like a little tank. So solid with the LT thick walled tubing and thru-the-wall fins. Iíve dropped it fast on two high altitude flights with a streamer [not recommended] but I couldnít chance losing it. I love mine. I have a surface crack between two fins I need to post about one day. You guys with the eBay rescue rockets and repairs could probably suggest the best way to repair mine. It was painted with old Krylon that I no longer have so I donít want to mess it up either. Itís actually on the bench waiting for that repair so I can fly it in the spring
__________________
Steve Naquin
TRA# 677 L2
NAR# 85518 L2
SAM# 0052

🚀 In Construction: Der Blue Maxx/Minie-Magg 5.5Ē & Vander-Burn MDRM Clone w/Stickershock23 Custom Decals
🚀 In Paint & Detail: USR Banshee
🚀 In Build Queue: Estes Doorknob w/Vander-Burn Rocketry Upgrade Kit [Sport Decor], Semroc Centurion-F, Semroc Egg Crate
🚀 In Repair: SLS Lilí Hustler, SLS Aero-Dart 1969 Trim
🚀 4/10/21-4/11/21 w/rain date of 4/17/21-4/18/21
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-09-2020, 10:55 PM
ghrocketman's Avatar
ghrocketman ghrocketman is offline
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Michigan
Posts: 11,286
Default

Nice flights.
Looks like the E20W is a good minimum for the Pershing 1A.
I saw one "fly" on a D12-3 and it was a ridiculous joke. Maybe 100'.
__________________
When in doubt, WHACK the GAS and DITCH the brake !!!

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't
!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-10-2020, 04:11 AM
A Fish Named Wallyum's Avatar
A Fish Named Wallyum A Fish Named Wallyum is offline
BP Mafia
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Ft. Thomas, KY
Posts: 7,908
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by erik442
Great shots of the Pershing 1-A! I've never seen a real one.
Looks like you had a good day in the field.
I was hoping to take advantage of the weather to do some flying too, but other things got in the way.
The Ventris/Archer near miss-tangle up sounds entertaining.
Very nice flight report.

I went all fan-boy on the Pershing. I think this was the third place I posted about it. I have a nose cone for a BT-60 that I got from Gordon years ago. I think I need to get serious about getting that built this winter.
__________________
Bill Eichelberger
NAR 79563

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: StickerShock Vader Max

In paint: Centuri Stellar Hercules, Estes Air Commander, Indicator, Long Tom, Luna Bug, Menace, Nike Apache, Ricochet, Solar Warrior FRW Kormoran AS.34, Maverick AGM-65B, Star Blazer XL Quest Intruder Red River Stratos, Semroc Cyber III, Excalibur, Firefly, S.P.E.V., Texas Firefly

Ready to fly: Semroc Point
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-10-2020, 04:19 AM
A Fish Named Wallyum's Avatar
A Fish Named Wallyum A Fish Named Wallyum is offline
BP Mafia
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Ft. Thomas, KY
Posts: 7,908
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaquin
Excellent blog post Bill
That first blue sky picture behind your Maxi Streak kinda says it all. Beautiful day. After this hurricane season Iíll take a blue sky any day!

So, first thing I do with one of your new blog posts is rush to scroll through and look at all the pretty pictures. I couldnít wait to get back to your black and yellow Vaughn Brothers VB Extreme until I went back to actually read the text and saw it was an HL exclusive Estes Vapor
What a nice looking bird, very sleek.

Wow a Red Max on the pad next to your Super Neon XL and itís not yours ... whatís up with that?

+1 to what Erik said love the Pershing that was also flown at the launch. When I was in high school a buddy of mine built and flew his Estes Pershing on a D12-3. That launch was more of a controlled lob than a flight. Looks like the E20W flight went great. I wouldnít consider [risk] a D12-3 flight on a beautiful rocket like that if it were mine.

Funny you mention the Semroc Lilí Hustler as a sentimental favorite for #200. My Lilí Hustler is a sentimental favorite too. Itís the oldest SLS rocket in my collection that is still flyable after all these years. When I pick it up and hold it in my hands itís like a little tank. So solid with the LT thick walled tubing and thru-the-wall fins. Iíve dropped it fast on two high altitude flights with a streamer [not recommended] but I couldnít chance losing it. I love mine. I have a surface crack between two fins I need to post about one day. You guys with the eBay rescue rockets and repairs could probably suggest the best way to repair mine. It was painted with old Krylon that I no longer have so I donít want to mess it up either. Itís actually on the bench waiting for that repair so I can fly it in the spring

I'm still kicking myself for not following the flight of the Pershing, but I did get the shots I wanted, so they're more nudges than kicks. Now if I could just talk my brother in law into bringing his Atlas down for a flight......
As for the Max, I still haven't completely recovered from my Max Day launch back in August. Just seeing that one on the pad gave me a flashback. I think it will be 2021 before I consider dusting one off again.
I've had pretty good luck with the SLS kits in my collection. All three are still flying and holding up fairly well. The Lil Hustler fins have that tendency to pop off, but so far the damage has been minimal. I'd love to piece together some of the others, but all of them have key parts missing in the eRockets catalog. I guess I can figure out a way to fake them. It's never bothered me in the past.
__________________
Bill Eichelberger
NAR 79563

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: StickerShock Vader Max

In paint: Centuri Stellar Hercules, Estes Air Commander, Indicator, Long Tom, Luna Bug, Menace, Nike Apache, Ricochet, Solar Warrior FRW Kormoran AS.34, Maverick AGM-65B, Star Blazer XL Quest Intruder Red River Stratos, Semroc Cyber III, Excalibur, Firefly, S.P.E.V., Texas Firefly

Ready to fly: Semroc Point
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-10-2020, 04:21 AM
A Fish Named Wallyum's Avatar
A Fish Named Wallyum A Fish Named Wallyum is offline
BP Mafia
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Ft. Thomas, KY
Posts: 7,908
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
Nice flights.
Looks like the E20W is a good minimum for the Pershing 1A.
I saw one "fly" on a D12-3 and it was a ridiculous joke. Maybe 100'.

A D12-3 flight would be something to see. Once. Hard to imagine that there was a time when it was considered a viable engine for such a bulky bird.
__________________
Bill Eichelberger
NAR 79563

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: StickerShock Vader Max

In paint: Centuri Stellar Hercules, Estes Air Commander, Indicator, Long Tom, Luna Bug, Menace, Nike Apache, Ricochet, Solar Warrior FRW Kormoran AS.34, Maverick AGM-65B, Star Blazer XL Quest Intruder Red River Stratos, Semroc Cyber III, Excalibur, Firefly, S.P.E.V., Texas Firefly

Ready to fly: Semroc Point
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-10-2020, 07:30 AM
tbzep's Avatar
tbzep tbzep is offline
Dazed and Confused
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: TN
Posts: 10,559
Default

I can attest that mine flew well enough to be safe in calm air, but it had some pucker factor cause that back end moved like a hula girl in a grass skirt going up. I never flew it again.

If it ever gets re-released, I'll build it with a removable mount. It would fly fine on a triple C6-3 cluster, assuming you don't have to add much nose weight to what it already has. For that matter, it would do ok on a triple B6-2 cluster. It would have similar total impulse to the D12 and a harder kick off the pad, low but stable. Then on the big fields, move up to single composites.
__________________
I love sanding.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-10-2020, 08:29 AM
ghrocketman's Avatar
ghrocketman ghrocketman is offline
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Michigan
Posts: 11,286
Default

E18/E20/E28/E30 is a logical minimum for this one. Glad they ditched that on the re-released 1/45 LJII.
Fiddling around with clusters when not needed seems like introducing another failure-point.
__________________
When in doubt, WHACK the GAS and DITCH the brake !!!

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't
!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-10-2020, 09:40 AM
tbzep's Avatar
tbzep tbzep is offline
Dazed and Confused
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: TN
Posts: 10,559
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
E18/E20/E28/E30 is a logical minimum for this one. Glad they ditched that on the re-released 1/45 LJII.
Fiddling around with clusters when not needed seems like introducing another failure-point.

But...but...you like crashes? I'm beginning to think GH stands for constant contradictions in some other language.

Clusters are cool and super easy to accomplish if you take your time, use the right equipment, and know what you're doing.
__________________
I love sanding.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:45 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe © 1998-2021