Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Cardstock Rocketry
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-04-2020, 06:18 PM
mbauer's Avatar
mbauer mbauer is offline
Cardstock Designer
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Nikiski, Alaska
Posts: 188
Default Working on An Honest John

Working on a little project I have. You'll soon see.

Mike
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-05-2020, 12:30 AM
mbauer's Avatar
mbauer mbauer is offline
Cardstock Designer
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Nikiski, Alaska
Posts: 188
Default

Can anyone please tell me the outside diameter in inches of the C size engine mount, and the D size? Need to adjust the internal tube so that either can be fitted.

Mike
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-05-2020, 03:50 PM
dannymrmissile dannymrmissile is offline
I HATE ENGINE HOOKS
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: NC
Posts: 511
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbauer
Can anyone please tell me the outside diameter in inches of the C size engine mount, and the D size? Need to adjust the internal tube so that either can be fitted.

Mike

Hi. Not sure which kit version youíre working on here. The BT-60 kit simply uses a standard 24Mm mount, or the OD of the BT is 1.637. Not sure of ID. Length can vary depending on using D or E engine. The others are from the BT-50 tube and 0.976 OD. ,,, or 18MM standard engine mount. Does this help ? Iíve modified Many types of engine mounts,, even using outside engine hooks to convert a Scrambler from a 3 Engine 18 MM cluster to a single D 24 Mm mount,,, ( think I still have it !). Perhaps I can be of further help. Let me know. Dan. PS, yup, here it is....pics coming.
Just for fun......
Hereís pics. I built this in the early 70s, modified it later. Used makeshift parts.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  8FE8BF07-7D82-442A-9B75-23410ADC4640.jpeg
Views: 40
Size:  1.86 MB  Click image for larger version

Name:  9E42D4FF-4263-4BC7-BD76-AEF9733EE396.jpeg
Views: 25
Size:  1.62 MB  Click image for larger version

Name:  CCB0F6DB-AAD1-482D-A2D7-421012504263.jpeg
Views: 28
Size:  1.62 MB  Click image for larger version

Name:  F0AE2A0E-1936-4125-BA15-D431FD44F70D.jpeg
Views: 23
Size:  1.62 MB  
__________________
ENGINE COSTS ARE " OUT OF SIGHT " .....
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-06-2020, 01:03 AM
mbauer's Avatar
mbauer mbauer is offline
Cardstock Designer
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Nikiski, Alaska
Posts: 188
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannymrmissile
Hi. Not sure which kit version youíre working on here. The BT-60 kit simply uses a standard 24Mm mount, or the OD of the BT is 1.637. Not sure of ID. Length can vary depending on using D or E engine. The others are from the BT-50 tube and 0.976 OD. ,,, or 18MM standard engine mount. Does this help ? Iíve modified Many types of engine mounts,, even using outside engine hooks to convert a Scrambler from a 3 Engine 18 MM cluster to a single D 24 Mm mount,,, ( think I still have it !). Perhaps I can be of further help. Let me know. Dan. PS, yup, here it is....pics coming.
Just for fun......
Hereís pics. I built this in the early 70s, modified it later. Used makeshift parts.


It does for the BT-60. In my old stash found some BT-50. Thank you for the information.

Getting ready to add a letter size Honest john that when built will be approx: 30" tall, based on the BT-50.


Mike
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-06-2020, 01:09 AM
mbauer's Avatar
mbauer mbauer is offline
Cardstock Designer
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Nikiski, Alaska
Posts: 188
Default 1st Try Designing C-Size Rocket 4th of July Colors

This is my first attempt at converting a stomp rocket to an Estes size C engine.

I've printed one and plan to post photos as I build it.

PDF file attached for the rocket, be sure to print at 100% or full size to get it to fit properly. You can substitute a BT-50 tube for the internal cardstock tube; remember to mark for the former bulkhead locations. Use Index 110 lb [198.9 gsm] cardstock only!

Honest John is painted in 4th of July colors. Didn't think of this until late in the day on the 4th.

Just save the PDF to your computer. Rocket when built will be 30" tall. Will need to use 3/32" basswood for the stabilizer fin pattern provided.

PDF conversion from AutoCAD to PDF changed color of Red And Blue, they should be darker...I'll work on that.

Mike
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Honest John 30 In 8x11 2020.pdf (311.0 KB, 36 views)

Last edited by mbauer : 07-06-2020 at 01:27 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-12-2020, 03:04 PM
dannymrmissile dannymrmissile is offline
I HATE ENGINE HOOKS
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: NC
Posts: 511
Default Fins

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbauer
This is my first attempt at converting a stomp rocket to an Estes size C engine.

I've printed one and plan to post photos as I build it.

PDF file attached for the rocket, be sure to print at 100% or full size to get it to fit properly. You can substitute a BT-50 tube for the internal cardstock tube; remember to mark for the former bulkhead locations. Use Index 110 lb [198.9 gsm] cardstock only!

Honest John is painted in 4th of July colors. Didn't think of this until late in the day on the 4th.

Just save the PDF to your computer. Rocket when built will be 30" tall. Will need to use 3/32" basswood for the stabilizer fin pattern provided.

PDF conversion from AutoCAD to PDF changed color of Red And Blue, they should be darker...I'll work on that.

Mike


I always skin my fins. I used a single balsa fin, instead of 3 as per Estes design on BT-60 HJ. Worked and looks great.
__________________
ENGINE COSTS ARE " OUT OF SIGHT " .....
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-06-2020, 03:47 AM
dannymrmissile dannymrmissile is offline
I HATE ENGINE HOOKS
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: NC
Posts: 511
Default

Youíre welcome. Contact me any time. Glad to help. Dan.
__________________
ENGINE COSTS ARE " OUT OF SIGHT " .....
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-12-2020, 02:18 PM
mbauer's Avatar
mbauer mbauer is offline
Cardstock Designer
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Nikiski, Alaska
Posts: 188
Default Cardstock Honest John Build Construction Photos/Sequence

Hello Everyone,

I took several photos while building the Honest John with the 4th of July colors. The PDF drawing posted above has a few graphic errors that will be fixed, once this series of build photos have been posted.

Main issue is the 7-red stripes on the fuselage. At the glue seam two are combined into one. This makes them look wider, tried a couple of different options, but ended up too many white stripes. Decide I will create a gold colored border to split them.

Part fit is good so not going to need any changes for the pieces.

Below is the first construction photo. Has a few of the tools, parts after cutting them out, and the balsa fins. The original PDF says to use 3/32" Balsa, this has been changed to 1/16" for the construction.

The outer covering of cardstock gives the combination lots of strength. So, 1/16" thick will work!

Please note in the photo on the far left there is a view of my empressor that is used to score fold lines, it has a small ball on the end. You can use the back edge of a kitchen butter knife, or go to an Art Supply store and buy an Art Embosser with a wood handle and balls at the ends. Fiskars has something similar you can sometimes find at Walmart

This rocket is 39" tall instead of the 30" in the PDF above, it needs printed on 11x17 size cardstock. I shrank it down to the 30" so it would fit the letter size 8.5"x11" cardstock that is available at the big box stores.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  PICT0805.JPG
Views: 28
Size:  321.4 KB  
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-29-2020, 01:26 PM
Ez2cDave's Avatar
Ez2cDave Ez2cDave is offline
Master Modeler
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 908
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbauer
Can anyone please tell me the outside diameter in inches of the C size engine mount, and the D size? Need to adjust the internal tube so that either can be fitted.

Mike


The "C" sized mount tube is BT-20 . . . It is .736", outside diameter.

The "D" sized mount tube is BT-50 . . . It is .976", outside diameter.

Dave F.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  ESTES TUBES.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  428.5 KB  
__________________
"Failure Is Not An Option . . . Adapt & Overcome ! "

NAR # 26128 L2
TRIPOLI # 517 L2 ( inactive, at present )
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-29-2020, 04:00 PM
Ez2cDave's Avatar
Ez2cDave Ez2cDave is offline
Master Modeler
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 908
Default

Your model reminds me of this HoJo display . . . I nicknamed it "Bomb Pop" - LOL !

Dave F.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  bf0863a1-c981-4a1f-af74-3215f51fdbb0.jpg
Views: 4
Size:  381.5 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  CRESTWOOD - 1.JPG
Views: 16
Size:  152.0 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  CRESTWOOD - 2.JPG
Views: 6
Size:  52.5 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  CRESTWOOD - 3.JPG
Views: 8
Size:  115.4 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  WALKER PARK.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  140.6 KB  
__________________
"Failure Is Not An Option . . . Adapt & Overcome ! "

NAR # 26128 L2
TRIPOLI # 517 L2 ( inactive, at present )
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:48 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe © 1998-2021