Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Mission Control
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 06-10-2012, 11:04 PM
Master Modeler

Default Wilsonville, OR

Had a VERY busy small-model-rocket launch today, in Wilsonville, OR. One of the monthly launches hosted by Oregon Rocketry.

Near perfect sunny weather; moderate winds with frequent still air.

There were very few club members attending, as OROC is also running a high power launch out in Brothers this weekend.

We had PLENTY of flyers though. Two or three families, plus two youth groups: A cub scout den (with fathers in attendance) and a group of maybe a half a dozen boys from what I think was a home or activity group for kids with emotional issues. (Aspergers, if I'm not mistaken.)

It was a VERY successful day, overall. There were a couple of shock cord separations, but the models were light enough that no real damage was done.

There was one core sample that I could have, should have prevented. The kid, a first-timer, insisted that the D12-7 was on the list of recommended motors for his Executioner. I told him that even if this was so there was a good chance that ejection might occur on the way down. He said he understood the situation, so we launched. He and his folks left immediately after scooping up the remains, so we couldn't discuss repairs. I hope this doesn't turn him off the hobby; if it didn't I hope he learned not to fib about motor listings . . . better to fly another day than lose a model. (If anyone had a D12-5 we'd ahve gladly swapped.)

I had two "dynamite ejections" on A8-5s. One split my Raven (a boost glider from an old MRN); the other warped the body tube of my Space Twins booster. Other than that I had good flights.
NAR #27085 - Oregon Rocketry - SAM
Old 06-10-2012, 11:22 PM
BP Mafia

Yeah, the only D that the Executioner is able to fly on is the D12-3. We had a similar situation a launch I attended in late March. One of the TARC teams that was attempting a last minute qualifying flight had a first flight pig with a D12-7. The rocket was pretty obviously too heavy for a D, but in the interest of safety I offered to trade them a D12-3 for the flight. When I returned with the motor I was surprised to find the rocket on the pad and ready to go. Turns out that not only did it have a D12-7 but the engine had been glued into the tube. I asked the RSO/LCO if he was going to let them fly it, but he just shrugged and laughed. In short, the rocket didn't make it to the 100' mark, and landed in the creek with the egg intact. In my estimation the button never should have been pushed. It turned out okay, no damage and a good laugh had by all, but I've already seen one launch field lost due to the "WTF, should be a cool/funny flight" attitude, so I'm more than a little sensitive to range safety. Problem was, I wasn't in a position to pull the plug on the flight.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Marauder, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Groonie Der V 1/2
Old 06-10-2012, 11:23 PM
BP Mafia

Forgot to ask if you flew anything.

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Marauder, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Old 06-10-2012, 11:48 PM
Master Modeler

I flew:

Space Twins (successful, slight crimp in body tube from atomic ejection charge). A8-3.

Raven (power pod split off from dynamite ejection charge). A8-3.

Viking II clone (great flight) A8-3

Zenith II (great flight; upper stage delay just a touch long) A8-0, A8-5

Badger (super-low but otherwise textbook flight) C11-3.

I'm looking for low-altitude birds to use at a demo next weekend. I think the last three above will provide enough variety.
NAR #27085 - Oregon Rocketry - SAM
Old 06-11-2012, 12:49 AM
BP Mafia

I'm refinishing my Astron Avenger at the moment, but I also have a Farside X in the sanding stage. I don't consider either of these as potential two-stagers for use at B6-4 Field, but I ordered a bunch of parts from Semroc last week, including a fin set for a Centuri Tiger Streak clone. It looks like a nice, lightweight two stager that would work okay on an A8-0/A8-5 in the tight surroundings up there. Also included in the order were tubes for a Custom Landviper clone. I'd like to fly that at B6-4 Field, but I need to find a suitable launcher for it first.

I miss being SAM 0058