Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 11-08-2011, 08:39 AM
Custom Cone, Kit & Decal Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdros
Thanks to everyone! Now I have to get my parts list together and do some ordering!

(I think one in red lettering and another in blue...) I'm going for the 24mm engine mount for D and E engines.

I have to do the math yet. I'll take the measurements off of the original I have (garage sale find).

It has a plastic two piece nose cone cast in red. Does anyone know if that's an original nose cone?

Sorry for the picture. My camera batteries are dead so I took a picture with my video camera.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  groove tube.JPG
Views: 50
Size:  25.2 KB  

http://sandmandecals.com/
Old 11-09-2011, 06:53 AM
Craftsman

I'm going for the BT-56 upscale X 2 (one with blue decals and the other with red). Gordy is packing everything up to ship out! I can't wait to get started and get some launches on a D or E. The original Centuri from the early 70s went up nice and straight. Beautiful launch! I'm looking forward to even more smoke and noise from the upscale version!

I'll try out wet sanding to see what's involved with getting a nice glossy finish.
Old 06-15-2022, 08:09 AM
Craftsman

Default Nose cone weight

It's been 16 years since I posted about the upscale. I'm just getting back into rocketry after a long time away.

I'm at the painting stage. After refreshing myself what I need to do, I need to add some weight to the nose cone. What kind of weight and how much would I need? Also, since it's balsa, how would I add it?

I seem to remember reading a thread about a certain type of clear coat damaging decals. I don't remember if it was Sandman's decals and what damages the decals.

Thanks for your help!

Bob
Old 06-19-2022, 07:05 AM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdros
It's been 16 years since I posted about the upscale. I'm just getting back into rocketry after a long time away.

I'm at the painting stage. After refreshing myself what I need to do, I need to add some weight to the nose cone. What kind of weight and how much would I need? Also, since it's balsa, how would I add it?

I seem to remember reading a thread about a certain type of clear coat damaging decals. I don't remember if it was Sandman's decals and what damages the decals.

Thanks for your help!

Bob
Welcome back! I built a BT-60, 24mm powered upscale a couple years ago, using a balsa cone from Semroc, and Stickershock decals. No nose weight needed, at least with D/E motors.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  14ABE349-20C4-45E6-959E-45B6617D7FBF.jpeg
Views: 39
Size:  651.2 KB  
NAR #87246 www.wooshrocketry.org
Old 06-21-2022, 09:18 AM
Craftsman

Your nose cone looks great! Did you wet sand it? I painted the nose cone but I'd like to have a more polished finish but I"ve never wet sanded. Can you tell me what you did to get such a nice finish?