Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > BARCLONE > Designer's Studio
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 09-01-2007, 11:15 PM
Master Modeler

Lightbulb New Design: Satellite Hunter

Keep up the good work Craig and a big Thanks for picking my slacker ways lately . I seem to be distracted and busy doing everything but rocketry .

Here is another design I am calling Satellite Hunter. Its an 18mm design and falls in the VR class. I have mixed alot of different tube sizes and balsa transitions onto this design to achieve this look. Probably a skill level 3 for this design because of all the Semroc parts.

Enjoy and Thanks Again, JP

James Pierson
NAR# 77907
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Satellite Hunter 2D Image.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  19.7 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Satellite Hunter 3D Image.jpg
Views: 187
Size:  12.5 KB  
Attached Files
File Type: rkt Satellite Hunter.rkt (83.6 KB, 121 views)
Old 09-01-2007, 11:40 PM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Pierson
Keep up the good work Craig and a big Thanks for picking my slacker ways lately . I seem to be distracted and busy doing everything but rocketry .

Same here, James. I've been away from the design screen too long, and just had to put something down in RockSim to keep from getting completely rusted out. The temps down here are only now starting to moderate back to the low 90s; lots of cooling thunder storms to make it happen, though, and usually around 4 PM on Saturdays. In other words, prime rocket-flying time. Wouldn't do good to try painting anything, either, with all that humidity.

Projects are backing up here, too. That SST:Space Shuttle is open and begging for attention, there's a Taurus and an April Dancer waiting their turns, the SIB taunts me as badly as the Apollo Capsule from the LJII which still needs finishing...

And, OBTW, the website still needs completing before it grows hair and legs and walks off in a huff...

I need a vacation from my relaxing hobbies. Some quality time in an office cubicle with a pointy-haired boss might be refreshing...

BARCLONE Rocketry -- http://barclone.rocketshoppe.com
BARCLONE Blogsite -- http://barclone.wordpress.com
BARCLONE Forum -- BARCLONE Forum

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635
Old 09-05-2007, 02:11 PM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Exclamation New Plan -- Sunbird

Another pre-used name, but I like mine better...

This one goes into the "Tau-style" category, using the BC-760 nose cone. It can also be classified as a cousin to the Andromeda, because of the "reactor shroud" components. For an added bonus, I'm going to "wedge-fit" this one into the VR class, since the top altitude is just fractionally over 800'.

Length: 23.95"
Diameter: 1.64" (ST-16)
Fin Span: 6.76"
Weight: 1.71 oz

B4-4......365'......Dv 9 FPS......1/8" x 36" launch rod
B6-4......375'......Dv 6 FPS......1/8" x 36" launch rod
C6-5......815'......Dv 8 FPS......1/8" x 36" launch rod

Enjoy!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  Sunbird 3D.jpg
Views: 218
Size:  38.3 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Sunbird 2D.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  79.1 KB  
Attached Files
File Type: rkt Sunbird.rkt (64.9 KB, 129 views)

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635
Old 09-05-2007, 06:32 PM
Old Rocket Up-Scaler

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPMcGraw
This is a simple design with great performance, low Dv numbers, and good looks as a sport modroc. It has over 1000' capability on a C6-5.

Length: 16.92"
Diameter: 1.04" (ST-10)
Fin Span: 5.04"
Weight: 1.262 oz

A8-3.......217'......Dv 2 FPS
B4-4.......498'......Dv 10 FPS
C6-5......1039'......Dv 11 FPS

Enjoy!

I like the look of this one - the "Rhemus."

How about a 38mm powered 4" airframe upscale? Sims real nice on an AT I366R redline!

By the way..... what is this Dv number and its significance?
Attached Files
File Type: rkt 4 inch Rhemus.rkt (61.7 KB, 147 views)
Old 09-05-2007, 09:49 PM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fore Check
I like the look of this one - the "Rhemus."

How about a 38mm powered 4" airframe upscale? Sims real nice on an AT I366R redline!

By the way..... what is this Dv number and its significance?

Thanks about the Rhemus. The 18mm prototype flies great, so an upscale would probably be spectacular. I'd love to see someone work up a 4" version; they'd be obligated to take and share lots of pictures and video of the flight attempt!

Dv is the "Deployment Velocity", or how fast the rocket is moving when it pops the parachute. Under 20 FPS (feet per second) is acceptable (for our small models, larger hardware may allow higher numbers), but over 20 is dangerous as it causes the canopy to open "explosively" if it isn't "reefed", or restricted in the speed it is allowed to open. Such explosive (that's how it sounds, too!) canopy openings tend to cause the chute to break free, shred the canopy material, or otherwise make itself useless. The lower you can get this number, the safer the deployment will be.

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635
Old 09-06-2007, 07:31 AM
Old Rocket Up-Scaler

Quote:
Thanks about the Rhemus. The 18mm prototype flies great, so an upscale would probably be spectacular. I'd love to see someone work up a 4" version; they'd be obligated to take and share lots of pictures and video of the flight attempt!

Dv is the "Deployment Velocity", or how fast the rocket is moving when it pops the parachute. Under 20 FPS (feet per second) is acceptable (for our small models, larger hardware may allow higher numbers), but over 20 is dangerous as it causes the canopy to open "explosively" if it isn't "reefed", or restricted in the speed it is allowed to open. Such explosive (that's how it sounds, too!) canopy openings tend to cause the chute to break free, shred the canopy material, or otherwise make itself useless. The lower you can get this number, the safer the deployment will be.

Ahhh... Very familier with that - just wasn't sure what the "Dv" nomenclature stood for. I've had success with Dv (to go ahead and use that nomenclature) predictions in the 75 fps range with MPR and larger.

As far as a 4" Rhemus - I'm sure it would look great. The only daunting task would be cutting those honkin' wings - they'd take up an enourmous amount of plywood "fin stock" - the upscaled wing fin has a root chord of about 38.5"!

Based on my experience "building" an upscale like this in RockSim and then building the rocket, I'm sure that the predicted weight and therefore the flight performance would be quite a bit different in the finished model. That's why I start with the RockSim file, build the rocket, then weigh the finished model and adjust the finished weight and Cg in the RockSim file for final sims. I think that I build my HPR rockets lighter than most (I never use 'glass, and I use wood glue in construction) but my finished models generally run 25-40% heavier than what is predicted in RockSim. Truthfully, I think that the weight descrepancies are largely attributed to how RockSim predicts the weight of the fins themselves. The error is probably very small (such that in smaller models the actual weight difference is quite small) but the difference/error is compounded when you introduce high scale factors (385% in this casde.) That said, this rocket *might* require nose weight in reality. Building it would be a fun opportunity to use my plunge router to make the cut-outs in the wings...
Old 09-06-2007, 01:36 PM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fore Check
...As far as a 4" Rhemus - I'm sure it would look great. The only daunting task would be cutting those honkin' wings - they'd take up an enourmous amount of plywood "fin stock" - the upscaled wing fin has a root chord of about 38.5"!

Building it would be a fun opportunity to use my plunge router to make the cut-outs in the wings...

Don't try to build them from solid ply. Create laminates from thinner layers, and add lightening holes through some of the inner layers. We're talking aircraft-grade woodworking here. This also allows you to taper the leading edge by simply extending the width of the material in each layer until the center layer, then filling in the stair-steps with lightweight microballoons and finishing epoxy. The outer-most layers could be some of that 0.02" matte board to provide a smoother surface for finishing.

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635
Old 09-06-2007, 04:14 PM
Old Rocket Up-Scaler

Quote:
Don't try to build them from solid ply. Create laminates from thinner layers, and add lightening holes through some of the inner layers. We're talking aircraft-grade woodworking here. This also allows you to taper the leading edge by simply extending the width of the material in each layer until the center layer, then filling in the stair-steps with lightweight microballoons and finishing epoxy. The outer-most layers could be some of that 0.02" matte board to provide a smoother surface for finishing.

That sounds like work.

I can bevel the edges with my router on a table with a fence and a 15 degree bevel bit. Works great.
Old 09-10-2007, 11:44 PM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Exclamation New Plan -- Notta Payloader

It's got the sharp lines and the fire red paint job, but it won't do no work, cause it's NOT A PAYLOADER. Maybe I shoulda named it FREELOADER instead...

Length: 23.0"
Diameter: 1.04" (ST-10)
Fin Span: 7.04"
Weight: 1.5 oz

A8-3......185'......Dv 7 FPS......36" x 1/8" rod
B4-4......435'......Dv 1 FPS......36" x 1/8" rod
B6-4......440'......Dv 6 FPS......36" x 1/8" rod
C6-5......915'......Dv 1 FPS......36" x 1/8" rod

Enjoy!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  Notta Payloader 2D.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  79.3 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Notta Payloader 3D.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  44.4 KB  
Attached Files
File Type: rkt Notta Payloader.rkt (62.5 KB, 91 views)

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635
Old 09-14-2007, 01:23 AM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Default Thread Changes Coming...

Everyone,

Effective January of 2008, we need to curtail further posting to this thread and develop a new thread (or threads) for BARCLONE designs. Our beloved "Scrounged" thread is now 972 posts long, and is touching 100 pages as I type this. It also is not the best title for our thread, as it implies a haphazard, or "backwoods" approach to model rocket design. We need a more suitable platform to present to both newcomers and ourselves. Scott, Buzz, and I have already talked about making this change earlier this year, but I've been slack about getting a new thread started. Now, I think it's time to make the change...

On January 1st, the "Scrounged" thread should be locked down to new posts, and the messages archived. The new thread will be called "BARCLONE Designer's Studio", and I'm going to open this thread immediately for posting. All designs that you wish to see posted (eventually) on the BARCLONE website should be posted here first for "peer review". Remember that YORF will always be the first place for new designs to be showcased, allowing everyone here the opportunity to study and critique each design before the final version gets released to the general public.

Let's see how long it takes us to generate 1000 messages on this new thread. According to the post date for the very first "Scrounged" message, 05-30-2005, it took 2 years and 4 months to reach 972. I haven't counted how many unique designs are present in this thread; I know there have been quite a few.

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635
Closed Thread