Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > FreeForAll
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 12-29-2005, 10:38 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPMcGraw
That's wild!

Even looking at the 3D image up on BARCLONE, it's hard to imagine the fins are supposed to be that wide. It is supposed to fly on a C, right?

Are you trying to get a "one-piece" fin with the grain all running in the same direction? I'd like to make a suggestion: Take a 3/8" wide strip of balsa, same thickness, and cap the tip with the grain running fore-aft. This will help reduce the chances of warping, or "cupping", with such large pieces. It's an old model airplane trick; you'd find it used on elevators and rudders of RC models where the non-moving fin is a single large piece of balsa...

The look on my face pretty much says it all. The fins aren't QUITE that large, but it will be necessary to cut them out of a sheet this size. I have family coming in for dinner tomorrow, so the best I can hope is to get the fins cut out, but I plan to use as much time as I can steal over the rest of the long weekend getting this beast together.
Your suggestion sounds interesting, but I'm not sure I'm following you. Do you mean the fin tip? Keep in mind that there will be a length of BT-5 out there.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Mini Dactyl Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Marauder, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Groonie Der V 1/2
Old 12-29-2005, 10:53 PM
Incurable SEMROC Fan

Exclamation Dodo Herds Rampaging Across the Stratosphere...

Quote:
Thanks, Jay. I'll look it over as soon as I can. Question, is that a Goblin fin shape, or a small Der Red Max fin?
Actually, that's just the standard fin shape from the attached Screamin' Mimi RockSim file I downloaded from some Unscrupulous Source... like (exaggeratedly furrowed brow) EMRR, maybe.

My cashflow is temporarily tapped out due to SEMROC's Most Excellent 50% off Sale, so I won't be able to pick up a *real* (i.e., "analog" vs. digital) Mimi for another week or so. But I think 3 standard fins would probably work okay... unless, of course, the body tube is slotted for TTFW ("Through The Frickin' Wall") fins.

Cheers,

--Jay
Attached Files
File Type: rkt Estes_Screamin_Mimi.rkt (66.9 KB, 52 views)
Old 12-29-2005, 11:00 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by CenturiGuy
My cashflow is temporarily tapped out due to SEMROC's Most Excellent 50% off Sale, so I won't be able to pick up a *real* (i.e., "analog" vs. digital) Mimi for another week or so. But I think 3 standard fins would probably work okay... unless, of course, the body tube is slotted for TTFW ("Through The Frickin' Wall") fins.

Speaking of your cashflow, I got a Semroc package of my own today. Inside were the two alternate engine mounts for the SLS Laser X (as well as a Hydra VII). I thought it might be worth expanding my options engine-wise since the smallest motor recommended for the Laser X is one of those that make my palms sweat. I think the first flight will be on two D's since I've seen the 4x18mm cluster already. I'm hoping to start REAL construction alongside the flying pig this weekend.

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Mini Dactyl Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Marauder, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Old 12-29-2005, 11:19 PM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
The look on my face pretty much says it all. The fins aren't QUITE that large, but it will be necessary to cut them out of a sheet this size. I have family coming in for dinner tomorrow, so the best I can hope is to get the fins cut out, but I plan to use as much time as I can steal over the rest of the long weekend getting this beast together.

That balsa sheet looked so much like a wing skin for a foam core...

Quote:
Your suggestion sounds interesting, but I'm not sure I'm following you. Do you mean the fin tip? Keep in mind that there will be a length of BT-5 out there.

Yes. The fin tip. The idea is to have a piece with the grain running perpendicular, or cross-grain, so that the strength of its grain counteracts the cupping tendency of the end-grain from the big piece of the fin. The BT-5 should do the same thing, though...

BARCLONE Rocketry -- http://barclone.rocketshoppe.com
BARCLONE Blogsite -- http://barclone.wordpress.com
BARCLONE Forum -- BARCLONE Forum

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635
Old 12-29-2005, 11:24 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Yes. The fin tip. The idea is to have a piece with the grain running perpendicular, or cross-grain, so that the strength of its grain counteracts the cupping tendency of the end-grain from the big piece of the fin. The BT-5 should do the same thing, though...

That's what I was hoping. I was thinking about trying the tissue paper trick on these fins since they're going to be so huge. I've never done it before, but I've seen it done.

I miss being SAM 0058

Old 12-29-2005, 11:32 PM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
That's what I was hoping. I was thinking about trying the tissue paper trick on these fins since they're going to be so huge. I've never done it before, but I've seen it done.

It's a really simple technique, and very light if you use dope to attach and seal the paper. For a little tougher skin, try silkspan, which is a spun-fiber paper, and is about half-way between tissue and Econokote.

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635
Old 12-29-2005, 11:33 PM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Quote:
Originally Posted by CenturiGuy
Actually, that's just the standard fin shape from the...Screamin' Mimi...

OK. Basically it's going to be a Thunder Mimi...

Quote:
My cashflow is temporarily tapped out due to SEMROC's Most Excellent 50% off Sale, so I won't be able to pick up a *real*... Mimi for another week or so. .. I think 3 standard fins would probably work okay... unless, of course, the body tube is slotted for TTFW ("Through The Frickin' Wall") fins.

Cheers,

--Jay

Ahem...

Checking my stash which was so greatly re-loaded last week, I only have about four Mimi's waiting for bashing. It might even be five, I lost count...

They do make such great fodder for a number of classics...

Mimi doesn't use TTW fins, thank goodness. That's why they're such great starting points. Full-length BT-60, the AH nose cone, and a "D" mount. This is one kit that's closer to the "old standard" we love so much...

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635
Old 12-30-2005, 08:53 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
OK. Basically it's going to be a Thunder Mimi...

Ahem...

Checking my stash which was so greatly re-loaded last week, I only have about four Mimi's waiting for bashing. It might even be five, I lost count...

They do make such great fodder for a number of classics...

Mimi doesn't use TTW fins, thank goodness. That's why they're such great starting points. Full-length BT-60, the AH nose cone, and a "D" mount. This is one kit that's closer to the "old standard" we love so much...

I couldn't agree more.. The Mimi is a great kit for parts.

I took a Mimi and used the "sound tubes" for a 3 motor cluster mount and used the fins and cone from a Baby Bertha to make a "sort of" Ranger clone. A real Ranger would have separated in the middle.

I then used the Mimi cone and fins on the Baby Bertha tube to make a "baby" Red Max. A real Red Max would have had a longer body tube.

I ended up with a spare motor mount for some future project.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  ranger_max.JPG
Views: 65
Size:  43.2 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  maxfin.JPG
Views: 61
Size:  80.2 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  ranger_1.JPG
Views: 61
Size:  29.9 KB  
Old 12-30-2005, 11:08 AM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob H
I couldn't agree more.. The Mimi is a great kit for parts.

I took a Mimi and used the "sound tubes" for a 3 motor cluster mount and used the fins and cone from a Baby Bertha to make a "sort of" Ranger clone. A real Ranger would have separated in the middle.

The BARCLONE "Pug" started out as a Mimi sound tube...

Quote:
I then used the Mimi cone and fins on the Baby Bertha tube to make a "baby" Red Max. A real Red Max would have had a longer body tube.

I ended up with a spare motor mount for some future project.

[Echo on]The BARCLONE "Pug" started out as a Mimi sound tube...[Echo off]

That "Mini Mimi Max" looks great. Can you get us a scan of that fin? I'd like to work that one up in RockSim.

The tip cut looks like it's 90 degrees to the leading edge. Can you confirm?

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635
Old 12-30-2005, 02:54 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
That "Mini Mimi Max" looks great. Can you get us a scan of that fin? I'd like to work that one up in RockSim.

The tip cut looks like it's 90 degrees to the leading edge. Can you confirm?

Yes it's cut 90 degrees to the leading edge. The fins were trimmed so they had more of a Red Max shape. They are slightly smaller than the real one but I wanted to use the fins from the Mimi.

I will have to measure the fins and send you the dimensions.

I don't know what I did with that fin with the markings. I only used three fins on the model so it should be in my shop area. But my shop is like a black hole/time machine. Things get sucked in and disappear and no amount of searching can find them. Later, when I have no use for the lost item, it will magically reappear in the middle of my work area.