Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Doctor is In! > Ask the Doctor
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 07-24-2011, 04:48 PM
Rocket Launcher Extraordinaire

Question Fliskits Nomad

I just opened the package and dug out the instruction sheet and started reading. After reading through it, I see that the instructions tell you to put the shock cord on the out side of the rocket. Fliskits also does this with the US TOG also. Why is my question? Why put the cord on the outside.? Is it to prevent zippering? What happens to air flow and drag, with the cord on the outside? When I built the TOG I put the shockcord on the inside. It flys great. Since I have not started the kit I thought I would get an opinion. Thanks Preston
Old 07-25-2011, 09:10 PM
Flying since 1977

I know that external shock cords are used quite a bit in competition models (especially PD and SD) so that there is nothing in the way of the parachute or streamer. Also, with an external shock cord, you can have the bottom part of the rocket balance where it is horizontal during descent to maximize drag and increase the flight duration. You are also right about having no zippers with an externally mounted shock cord. I have actually have had parachutes hang up on some internal mount designs. (The Estes trifold mounts on small tubes, Especially Bt-5 and BT-20.)

Mike Toelle

NAR 31692 L1

SAM 0373
Old 07-25-2011, 09:25 PM
Master Modeler

After looking at the Nomad on the Fliskits site, I don't see why you could not put the shock cord in the tube. A BT55 tube with a streamer recovery should be plenty of room for the ejection charge with out the streamer getting stuck.

In any case I usually dispense with the tri-fold mount and run a length of Kevlar cord from the motor mount. In that way, this will free up space in smaller tube rockets for the recovery system.
Old 07-29-2011, 07:41 AM
Junior Rocketeer

Smile Fin Protection?

While I don't know for sure,I suspect the mildly unconventional shock cord rigging is an attempt to protect the very small 3rd stage fins from snapping off every single flight.With inside the BT attachment they would surely take the brunt of landing impact.

STEVE MAHONEY-CMASS
Old 07-29-2011, 05:10 PM
Rocket Launcher Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by stvmhny
While I don't know for sure,I suspect the mildly unconventional shock cord rigging is an attempt to protect the very small 3rd stage fins from snapping off every single flight.With inside the BT attachment they would surely take the brunt of landing impact.

STEVE MAHONEY-CMASS

You are correct. I asked Fliskkits and that is what I was told. The streamer/parachute in the middle helps prevent fin damage, to the third stage. Chief /nukemmcssret