Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2019, 09:39 PM
Craftsman

Mock up of one Screaming Eagle shape fin from some scrap balsa sheet, will cut actual fins from 1/8" Birch ply. Not going to use the slots in the centering rings, and plan to shift the top centering ring forwards to make the fin TTW tab longer than the stock fin tabs. Stock Prowler fin on left, mock-up balsa fin on right...sized at 80% of 2X upscale, just so I can fit two fins on the ply sheet stock, 2X is a little too large to fit. I may get 90% of 2X to fit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  DSC_8284.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  238.1 KB  

Last edited by GlenP : 01-14-2019 at 01:00 AM.
Old 01-17-2019, 07:12 PM
Craftsman

Finally made some progress on another build, whose decals I was combining on the same sheet with these Screaming Eagle decals. So, I finally got these printed up and, weather permitting, will clear coat them and be able to wrap up this 1X Screaming Eagle clone. Still playing around with my ideas for the 2X clone, but just about ready to start on that Prowler kit bash...

For the body-tube wraps, I am planning to apply the peel-stick Trim Monokote to the rocket first, then the water-slide decals on top of them. For the flat fin stickers, I may just apply the decals to the trim monokote, then cut and peel and stick them.
Old 01-31-2019, 02:12 PM
Craftsman

The waterslide decals on top of Trim Monokote look pretty good. The Trim Monokote sheets I got mail order were just curled up in a cardboard box and got scratched up quite a bit, I tried to use a portion of it that was not too bad. Kind of tricky handling this, I might not have let the decals dry long enough before peeling-and-sticking, some of them slid around a little, but not too much. Anyway, pretty decent results for a home-made metallic sticker to approximate the originals. I like how these turned out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  DSC_8307.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  319.2 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  DSC_8308.jpg
Views: 36
Size:  274.0 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  DSC_8309.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  326.1 KB  
Old 01-31-2019, 04:18 PM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenP
The waterslide decals on top of Trim Monokote look pretty good. The Trim Monokote sheets I got mail order were just curled up in a cardboard box and got scratched up quite a bit, I tried to use a portion of it that was not too bad. Kind of tricky handling this, I might not have let the decals dry long enough before peeling-and-sticking, some of them slid around a little, but not too much. Anyway, pretty decent results for a home-made metallic sticker to approximate the originals. I like how these turned out.

As a 42+ year flyer of the Screaming Eagle (my first rocket), those turned out pretty good!

Those foil decals are hard to scan. Your re-creation of the graphics is very well done.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 01-31-2019, 05:33 PM
The Alpha Kid

+1 to what Earl said. Those decals look very convincing. Great job!
Old 01-31-2019, 07:46 PM
Craftsman

Thanks very much. I will have to see how well this technique scales up to 2X for that Prowler kit-bash I am thinking about...crazy enough it just might work!

I owe great thanks to Scott for modeling the fin can so that I could 3D print it:
http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/showthread.php?t=17185
you may find some other interesting nose cones, etc, for your own scratch build. I also printed his Dr. Zooch Vanguard Eagle nose cone model, but then found an Estes kit on-line, so I may build those one of these days.
http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/show...2&postcount=100
http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/show...0&postcount=105

Last edited by GlenP : 02-01-2019 at 09:25 AM.
Old 02-01-2019, 07:20 AM
Dazed and Confused

You have probably inspired a few folks to tackle the A-20 Demon.
Old 02-01-2019, 07:27 AM
Avid Builder

Nicely done! And Chris is currently doing a build of the Estes Vanguard Eagle on his blog, but you probably already know that. Cheers.
Old 02-01-2019, 03:37 PM
Craftsman

Yes, his builds are really helpful and a good reference when kit building or cloning. His Screaming Eagle build was also really helpful with my clone here.

I will probably build the Estes kit stock (single stage) for the most part, but scan the decals/stickers and print my own for the Dr. Zooch clone (gap-staged), I have all the parts for that one too.
Old 02-01-2019, 10:11 PM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenP
Yes, his builds are really helpful and a good reference when kit building or cloning. His Screaming Eagle build was also really helpful with my clone here.

I will probably build the Estes kit stock (single stage) for the most part, but scan the decals/stickers and print my own for the Dr. Zooch clone (gap-staged), I have all the parts for that one too.

I did a comprehensive beta-build thread of the Dr. Zooch Vanguard Eagle here...

http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=7444

Lots of pictures just follow along with the build...

later and good luck! OL J R