Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Model Rocket History
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 08-27-2024, 12:42 AM
Craftsman

Default Model Rocketry's Beginning: 1954-1960 Letters Orville Carlisle & Lawrence Brown

Here is an interesting one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/3262391834...d=&toolid=10050

Pricey, but interesting, none the less. A very cool collection of early model rocket history. Should be in the Seattle Museum of Flight.

This is not my auction, nor do I know the seller.

Kind regards,
Jeff Jenkins
aka: Faithwalker
NAR #46879 SR
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Orville_Carlisle_LW_Brown_letter_Oct_1954.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  313.1 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Orville_Carlisle_LW_Brown_letter.jpg
Views: 37
Size:  372.7 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Orville_Carlisle_Harry_Stine_article.jpg
Views: 34
Size:  578.7 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Model_Rocketry_Beginning_1954-1960_Letters-Orville_Carlisle_and_Lawrence_Brown_ebay_listing.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  273.1 KB  

Last edited by Faithwalker : 08-27-2024 at 01:38 AM.
Old 08-27-2024, 02:07 AM
Master Modeler

Oh my goodness. I wonder how the seller came to have these.

I've pinged Pat Fitzpatrick who has been deeply involved with the efforts to bring our history to the Museum of Flight to see what he thinks.
AMA 42160
KG7AIE
Old 08-27-2024, 07:41 AM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEC
Oh my goodness. I wonder how the seller came to have these.

I've pinged Pat Fitzpatrick who has been deeply involved with the efforts to bring our history to the Museum of Flight to see what he thinks.
Hi Bernard,

Not sure yet. I have sent an inquiry to the seller to try to learn more.
Will let everyone here know what I find out...

Kind regards,
Jeff Jenkins
NAR #46879 SR
Old 08-27-2024, 11:06 AM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faithwalker
Hi Bernard,

Not sure yet. I have sent an inquiry to the seller to try to learn more.
Will let everyone here know what I find out...

Kind regards,
Jeff Jenkins
NAR #46879 SR

I did the same and they seemed a bit cagey, but seemed maybe willing to talk. I did not pursue it any further.

I wonder if this is Bob Craddock. It is out of the larger DC area if I recall (a Virginia address). I asked if they knew who's estate this came out, either Carlisle, Stine, or Brown. They didn't state. These really need to be in a museum and not for general sale to the public in my opinion.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 08-27-2024, 12:31 PM
I do not like Facebook

That is one huge stack of paper...

Bill

If your June, July, August and September was like this, you might just hate summer too...

Please unload your question before you ask it unless you have a concealed harry permit.

: countdown begin cr dup . 1- ?dup 0= until cr ." Launch!" cr ;

Give a man a rocket and he will fly for a day; teach him to build and he will spend the rest of his days sanding...
Old 08-27-2024, 01:50 PM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
I did the same and they seemed a bit cagey, but seemed maybe willing to talk. I did not pursue it any further.

I wonder if this is Bob Craddock. It is out of the larger DC area if I recall (a Virginia address). I asked if they knew who's estate this came out, either Carlisle, Stine, or Brown. They didn't state. These really need to be in a museum and not for general sale to the public in my opinion.

Earl
The seller responded to my inquiry and provided his first name and personal phone number inviting me to call him to discuss in detail. It is not Bob Craddock. I will attempt to reach out to the seller by phone to find out more and can follow-up here with an update.

Kind regards,
Jeff Jenkins
NAR #46879 SR
Old 08-27-2024, 04:03 PM
Master Modeler

I have looped in Pat Fitzpatrick. Hopefully between him and Jeff this will find a way to get to MoF as it would be a great adjunct to what is already there in the GHStine collection.

I would think this would have had to come from either Carlisle or Brown, as the Stine stuff is now at MoF.
AMA 42160
KG7AIE
Old 08-27-2024, 04:18 PM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faithwalker
The seller responded to my inquiry and provided his first name and personal phone number inviting me to call him to discuss in detail. It is not Bob Craddock. I will attempt to reach out to the seller by phone to find out more and can follow-up here with an update.

Kind regards,
Jeff Jenkins
NAR #46879 SR

Jeff-

I tried to find out where this all came from in my question to the seller, but they did not say. I would be VERY interested to know where it DID come from (which estate) and how this seller obtained it. Of course, that may be, in their mind, confidential info, but if you CAN find that out, it would be very interesting to find out how this wound up where it is at this point. POSSIBLY, this seller is part of the Carlisle or Brown family line; not sure.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Old 08-27-2024, 09:17 PM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEC
I have looped in Pat Fitzpatrick. Hopefully between him and Jeff this will find a way to get to MoF as it would be a great adjunct to what is already there in the GHStine collection.

I would think this would have had to come from either Carlisle or Brown, as the Stine stuff is now at MoF.
Yes, I hope to get Pat and the seller connected, so that, hopefully, some progress can be made towards getting these materials to the MoF. They are authentic and would be a great addition to the MoF.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
Jeff-

I tried to find out where this all came from in my question to the seller, but they did not say. I would be VERY interested to know where it DID come from (which estate) and how this seller obtained it. Of course, that may be, in their mind, confidential info, but if you CAN find that out, it would be very interesting to find out how this wound up where it is at this point. POSSIBLY, this seller is part of the Carlisle or Brown family line; not sure.

Earl
What I can say is that this is a serious collector who wants to keep his identity anonymous for now. He purchased these items from the Carlisle family approximately 30 years ago after meeting with them in person some years after Orville Carlisle had passed away. He said that Orville's son Jim, who continued running the Carlisle Shoe Store in Norfolk, NE, after Orville's death in 1988, was not interested in model rocketry and did not see or understand the significance of what his father had done, so he sold the items. Orville's son Jim has since passed away himself back in 2004, at age 55, but Jim had a son who is now grown and still living, and has a son of his own.

Orville Carlisle had a fireworks/model rocketry museum of sorts in the back of his family shoe store for many years. He even had fireworks artifacts dating back to 1850. I am told that the Carlisle family also had a collection of old native American Indian artifacts, as well.

Perhaps more will become known as this unfolds.

Kind regards,
Jeff Jenkins
NAR #46879 SR

Last edited by Faithwalker : 08-27-2024 at 09:38 PM.
Old 08-27-2024, 09:35 PM
Apollo Nut

Thanks for the details Jeff. Sad that the Carlisle son did not want to retain these items.

I seem to recall Orville had a daughter as well, as I seem to recall seeing some photos of her and possibly Orville?s widow holding some of Orville?s rocketry artifacts in the Carlisle home. But, I cannot for the life of me recall where I saw those photos. Maybe an early issue of Launch magazine maybe? NAR mag maybe?? I cannot recall. In any event, it would have been better if the family would have retained ownership of all those items and donated them to a museum at some point. But, it was their free choice; we have no direct control over what they chose to do.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions