Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Rocket Boosted Gliders
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2021, 06:24 PM
Banned

Here is "Vitamin-C" . . . a C / D impulse B/G that I am currently working on, today.

I used my wife's little Canon SX 160 IS . . . A nice little "pocket camera".

Pardon the dirty mirror . . . LOL !

Dave F.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  VITAMIN C - 1.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  656.1 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  VITAMIN C - 2.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  645.9 KB  

Last edited by Ltvscout : 02-06-2021 at 08:37 PM.
Old 03-17-2021, 05:25 PM
'nother Old Fart BAR....

My favorite gliding model is the MPC Lunar Patrol. This is the clone I built a couple of years ago...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  20181021_121456.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  1.99 MB  

Check out my wonderful model rocketry blog here:
https://castlerocketeer.blogspot.com/
Old 03-17-2021, 06:55 PM
Contest, Sport, it's all good......

The MPC Lunar Patrol was my first successful glider model. I tried an Estes Falcon, which on flight 1 death dived into the ground. After repairs, flight #2 shredded to bits on just a B motor.

For the Lunar Patrol, I painted one glider fluorescent blue, the other fluorescent red. My first ever contest, in Atlanta in 1971, I used that for B or C Boost Glide. I wanted to say time the red one, but they said they would DQ it if both gliders came off (My first exposure to the "DQ anything unusual" mentality by some contest officials). So I taped the blue one to stay on. It did not win of course, but may have taken 3rd or 4th (maybe out of 3 or 4 fliers, unless someone DQ'ed).

I got a "wee bit" better with gliders after that....

My 1974 fleet for NGRM in 1974. They sure had a lot of glider events that year. Several slide-pod R/G's for C R/G, a small swing-wing for 1/4A or 1/2A R/G, a Tandem-wiged glider AND Flex-wing for either 1/4A or 1/2A B/G. And an LM for Plastic Model, which IIRC did not fare well (I've built a much better flying LM since... ) .

Georges'CancerGoFundMe:
https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-geo...ay-fight-cancer
Old 03-17-2021, 07:04 PM
Junior Rocketeer

Ok I went and rounded up the usual suspects
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  1.52 MB  
Old 03-17-2021, 08:22 PM
Master Modeler

Send a message via Yahoo to barone

Mine has to be the Maxima. But I have a fondness towards the Swinger, Tomcat, and Crusader. And just about every glider from QCR.
Old 03-18-2021, 03:55 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

My first successful boost glider was the Estes Orbital Transport. Loved that thing.

My Estes Falcon was built and tried earlier, but it boosted right into the sun glare and vanished on the first flight, on an A motor. Never saw it again, even though I did a good search grid on the large field.

Did an Estes Space Plane next, which I got to work fairly well. Little tricky to trim.

Did my own interpretation of the Space Twins dual boost glider from the Estes free plan. Did not change the gliders, but used a BT-20 booster instead of BT-50. That worked very well.

I have probably built just about every parasite boost glider kit since the 1970s and a number of other boost glider kits and a few rocket gliders. I designed a modernized version of the Space Twins called the Gemini, with two stylized Space Plane-like gliders (more wing sweep and swoopier tail surfaces). Flew this at the NARAM 32 sport range in Dallas in 1990.

Circa 1981 I built a modified Larry Renger Skydancer RC BG. My first RC boost glider. Used strip ailerons instead of conventional ailerons (for ease of construction and simpler linkages) and changed the shape of the twin vertical tails, just for fun. I had at least 100 flights on that thing, mostly using CHAD staged D12-0 to D12-3. Was a little boring on a single D12-3. This model was also flow at NARAM 32 in Dallas. I think there is a picture of it in the NAR magazine article that covered that NARAM. Have not flown it since around 1996. Still have it and it is still flyable, if I install a modern RX.....

Lots of things, since. Wish I had pictures of all the old ones I built.

Edit: I ran across a newspaper picture of the Skydancer going off the pad at a model airplane fly in called SMALL Steps in Little Rock, AR in June of 1990...31 years ago. And, the model was already 10 years old. Me at the rear flying and my old buddy Randy Rogers doing LCO duty. Not a great pic, but about the best I have.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  Tq48509 2.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  302.2 KB  
TRA 2150 (lapsed)

Last edited by tab28682 : 03-18-2021 at 04:42 PM.
Old 03-18-2021, 04:45 PM
Contest, Sport, it's all good......

Quote:
Originally Posted by tab28682
Circa 1981 I built a modified Larry Renger Skydancer RC BG. My first RC boost glider. Used strip ailerons instead of conventional ailerons (for ease of construction and simpler linkages) and changed the shape of the twin vertical tails, just for fun. I had at least 100 flights on that thing, mostly using CHAD staged D12-0 to D12-3. Was a little boring on a single D12-3. This model was also flow at NARAM 32 in Dallas. I think there is a picture of it in the NAR magazine article that covered that NARAM. Have not flown it since around 1996. Still have it and it is still flyable, if I install a modern RX.....

It would probably be awesome on a G12. But probably best to do an F13 boost first to be sure it does not go out of sight.
Georges'CancerGoFundMe:
https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-geo...ay-fight-cancer
Old 03-18-2021, 05:03 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Starting about 2014 I did a number of RC RGs and a couple of RC BGs. I did a number of Depron profile rocket gliders inspired by Frank Burke's designs.

Here is a nice shot of my OD Depron profile XB-70 boosting on AT E-6 power. I had a bunch of flights on this thing before bringing it to NARAM in Springfield, MO in 2016. A very nice flyer. Just before the event, I went to a lighter single cell 450 lipo for RX power, which replaced a stand alone BEC and a 2S 270 or 300 lipo. This removed a little weight and reduced the drag a little. Great, except for the fact that it now being lighter and less draggy it was able to reach and exceed the speed of foam on boost when flown at that NARAM. Ouch. All repaired shortly after, with a nose transplant and some new carbon in the fuse to make sure the speed of foam is now higher for that model. Still flies well.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  xb-70.jpg
Views: 18
Size:  33.8 KB  
TRA 2150 (lapsed)
Old 03-18-2021, 05:31 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

One more post about gliders.

I took a bunch of models to NARAM 58 in Springfield, MO in 2016. Too many, as I did not get around to flying them all in three days..... However, it is always nice to have options on what to fly.

Here is what I brought: Left to right starting with the Bomarc: Dynasoar Rocketry Bomarc, My own design XF-108 Rapier, My own design glide-able SA-14 Archer, Dynasoar Rocketery profile InteRCeptor, own design semi scale Blackhorse spaceplane, RC parasite Guillows foam Space Shuttle, own design A-4B RC BG conversion of the Estes V-2 kit and my own design free flight Mig-21 BG. My slightly broken XB -70 is in the rear. Up front is my own design Douglas D-558-III RC RG and my Dynasoar Rocketry profile X-15.

Flew the Bomarc twice, the InteRCeptor once, the Blackhorse spaceplane once, the D-558-III once and the X-15 once, plus the attempt to fly the XB-70. Also flew a few conventional rockets at NARAM that year.

Partly in view on the right is my friend Richard Ng's F-104 rocket.

A good time was had!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  gliders at NARAM 58.jpg
Views: 28
Size:  342.5 KB  
TRA 2150 (lapsed)
Old 03-18-2021, 05:42 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgegassaway
It would probably be awesome on a G12. But probably best to do an F13 boost first to be sure it does not go out of sight.

Thought about it, but it is on the edge of OK on the chad staged D12s. If you do not hold at least an 70-80 degree climb, it builds up a little airspeed and gives off a little bit of very high pitched aileron flutter, almost like a strummed electric guitar note.... Easily fixed with a aileron counterweight, I predict.

I am a little tempted to fly it this summer, in its 40th year of existence. Might just convert it to a fixed pod and fly it on a E6 reload.

Still have a Phoenix to build for the 32mm case. Might happen, now that I am retired!
TRA 2150 (lapsed)