Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Semroc > SVDT - Semroc Virtual Design Team
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-17-2007, 09:59 PM
Carl@Semroc's Avatar
Carl@Semroc Carl@Semroc is offline
Junior ??? Rocketeer
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Knightdale, NC
Posts: 1,470
Default First Discontinued Kits

After long deliberations, we have decided to discontinue all the CC: Kits. We are out of stock on the Space Plane and X-21 and do not plan on re-kitting the SST Shuttle as a cc: kit when they are gone.

Almost all our complaints and warranty issues have been with the cc: kits.
1. No instructions in kit.
2. Links broken to instructions or can't get to the internet.
3. Bad design.
4. Poorly written instructions.
5. Not up to Semroc's standards.

Far too many customers missed the point of building historically significant kits using Vern's instructions and Lee's instructions. Several people said we should re-release them with "better parts" and Semroc written instructions.

I don't think they were around in the "Old Days."
__________________
Carl McLawhorn
NAR#4717 L2
semroc.com
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-17-2007, 10:10 PM
Ltvscout's Avatar
Ltvscout Ltvscout is offline
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 5,581
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl@Semroc
After long deliberations, we have decided to discontinue all the CC: Kits. We are out of stock on the Space Plane and X-21 and do not plan on re-kitting the SST Shuttle as a cc: kit when they are gone.

Almost all our complaints and warranty issues have been with the cc: kits.
1. No instructions in kit.
2. Links broken to instructions or can't get to the internet.
3. Bad design.
4. Poorly written instructions.
5. Not up to Semroc's standards.

Far too many customers missed the point of building historically significant kits using Vern's instructions and Lee's instructions. Several people said we should re-release them with "better parts" and Semroc written instructions.

I don't think they were around in the "Old Days."

Eeek! Looks like I'll have to search around for those at other online vendors since I think I only bought "collector" copies of them.

There aren't any broken links for instructions on my site, are there?
__________________
Scott D. Hansen
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe - Your One Stop BAR Shoppe!
Ye Olde Rocket Plans - OOP Rocket Plans From 38 Companies!
Ye Olde Rocket Forum
Ye Olde Rocket Auction
WOOSH NAR Section #558
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-17-2007, 10:11 PM
Ltvscout's Avatar
Ltvscout Ltvscout is offline
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 5,581
Default

Carl,

Do you have a vendor list you could send me so I can more easily find who has those in stock still?
__________________
Scott D. Hansen
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe - Your One Stop BAR Shoppe!
Ye Olde Rocket Plans - OOP Rocket Plans From 38 Companies!
Ye Olde Rocket Forum
Ye Olde Rocket Auction
WOOSH NAR Section #558
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-17-2007, 10:14 PM
Carl@Semroc's Avatar
Carl@Semroc Carl@Semroc is offline
Junior ??? Rocketeer
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Knightdale, NC
Posts: 1,470
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltvscout
Carl,

Do you have a vendor list you could send me so I can more easily find who has those in stock still?
Uncle Mike and JonRocket are possibilities.
__________________
Carl McLawhorn
NAR#4717 L2
semroc.com
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-17-2007, 11:02 PM
Ltvscout's Avatar
Ltvscout Ltvscout is offline
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 5,581
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl@Semroc
Uncle Mike and JonRocket are possibilities.

I just ordered a builder SST Shuttle from you along with the Mercury capsule. I'll get the other two from JonRocket.

It sounds like you may re-release the Space Plane as a full-fledged Semroc Retro Repro next year?
__________________
Scott D. Hansen
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe - Your One Stop BAR Shoppe!
Ye Olde Rocket Plans - OOP Rocket Plans From 38 Companies!
Ye Olde Rocket Forum
Ye Olde Rocket Auction
WOOSH NAR Section #558
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-17-2007, 11:19 PM
Carl@Semroc's Avatar
Carl@Semroc Carl@Semroc is offline
Junior ??? Rocketeer
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Knightdale, NC
Posts: 1,470
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltvscout
I just ordered a builder SST Shuttle from you along with the Mercury capsule. I'll get the other two from JonRocket.

It sounds like you may re-release the Space Plane as a full-fledged Semroc Retro Repro next year?
We are still trying to get real BT-30 tubes. Vern now thinks he got it and the engine mailing tubes from the same place as the engine tubes.
__________________
Carl McLawhorn
NAR#4717 L2
semroc.com
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-17-2007, 10:15 PM
Carl@Semroc's Avatar
Carl@Semroc Carl@Semroc is offline
Junior ??? Rocketeer
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Knightdale, NC
Posts: 1,470
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltvscout
There aren't any broken links for instructions on my site, are there?
Jimz was down for a while.
__________________
Carl McLawhorn
NAR#4717 L2
semroc.com
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-17-2007, 10:33 PM
Initiator001's Avatar
Initiator001 Initiator001 is offline
Too Many Initiators is Never Enough
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 1,997
Default

Sorry to hear the 'cc' concept didn't work out, Carl.

For the record, what was/would have been KCC-2?

Bob
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-17-2007, 10:40 PM
rraeford rraeford is offline
Craftsman
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 307
Default

Carl,

An idea ahead of its time I guess.... Any chance you'll keep them listed so parts can be ordered all together to make a clone the way that some kits (e.g. Stiletto and Black Widow) are? Hope so.

I hate that for you guys. It seemed like a brilliant idea.

BTW, since the SST engine parts were made, is there any chance the Quasar USS America might make it to your retro-repro kit list?


Romie
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-17-2007, 10:51 PM
Carl@Semroc's Avatar
Carl@Semroc Carl@Semroc is offline
Junior ??? Rocketeer
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Knightdale, NC
Posts: 1,470
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rraeford
Carl,

An idea ahead of its time I guess.... Any chance you'll keep them listed so parts can be ordered all together to make a clone the way that some kits (e.g. Stiletto and Black Widow) are? Hope so.

I hate that for you guys. It seemed like a brilliant idea.

BTW, since the SST engine parts were made, is there any chance the Quasar USS America might make it to your retro-repro kit list?


Romie
We will keep the parts online. In fact, we are still expanding the available parts even if we are not doing the kits.

The PNC-165 nose cone for the Quasar and USS America is a stumbling block. The lack of a C5-3 is also a problem for the Super Kits.
__________________
Carl McLawhorn
NAR#4717 L2
semroc.com
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:12 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe 1998-2019