Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Plans & Publications
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 02-28-2019, 10:31 AM
Incurable SEMROC Fan

Exclamation Centuri Kit Body Tube and Nose Cone List

This Centuri Kit Body Tube and Nose Cone List is a counterpart to John Brohm's excellent Body Tube and Nose Cone Lists for Estes.

The data herein was collected from JimZ Rocket Plans, Ye Olde Rocket Plans, the old Semroc.com website (notably "The Classics 1954-1995"), and in many cases measurements from original Centuri kits.

Please note that Centuri occasionally substituted plastic nose cones for their original balsa parts, which resulted in slight variations in kit contents.

Additionally, catalog models may not reflect the actual parts included in the final kit releases. As a result, the attached document is intended as starting point to closely approximate the Centuri rocket kits that many of us know and love.

This list isn't entirely complete at this initial posting. Please note the few "red letter" entries, for which I still need solid information.

Finally, please contact me via Personal Message (PM) with any suggested additions or corrections.

Cheers, blessings, and keep 'em flyin'!
Semroc SAM #0029
NAR 86131

"I think about organizing things all the time. Never seems to happen. I find something that piques my interest and I'm off on a quest. Or a Centuri. "

--Bill Eichelberger, 02/22/2022

“Centuri fret buzz in an updated form.”
Bill “Wallyum” Eichelberger re: Estes Flutter-By
03 Sept 2014

Last edited by Tau Zero : 01-21-2021 at 11:39 AM. Reason: Added updated listing
Old 02-28-2019, 06:33 PM
Master Modeler

First of all, thanks for your effort in putting this together. I notice a ? for the SST Shuttle-1 cone. I own several of these and they all have the PNC-106 nose.
I also notice you list a BC for the Astro-1. All of mine going back to 1971 had a plastic cone (also PNC-106) which doesn't really mean that it did not originally come with a balsa cone. I have studied the images in the catalogs as I am sure many of us have and and realize that Centuri made a lot of running changes as their line matured.
Old 02-28-2019, 06:50 PM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by rraeford
First of all, thanks for your effort in putting this together. I notice a ? for the SST Shuttle-1 cone. I own several of these and they all have the PNC-106 nose.
I also notice you list a BC for the Astro-1. All of mine going back to 1971 had a plastic cone (also PNC-106) which doesn't really mean that it did not originally come with a balsa cone. I have studied the images in the catalogs as I am sure many of us have and and realize that Centuri made a lot of running changes as their line matured.

The first year or so of the Astro-1 (introduced in '69, I believe) did come with a balsa cone (I have a packaged one with a balsa cone).

When Centuri introduced plastic cones, which I believe was sometime in the early months of '70 or close thereto, Astro-1's received the aforementioned PNC-106.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 03-13-2019, 04:57 PM
Incurable SEMROC Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
When Centuri introduced plastic cones, which I believe was sometime in the early months of '70 or close thereto, Astro-1's received the aforementioned PNC-106.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rraeford
I notice a ? for the SST Shuttle-1 cone. I own several of these and they all have the PNC-106 nose.

I have studied the images in the catalogs as I am sure many of us have and and realize that Centuri made a lot of running changes as their line matured.
Earl and Romie,

I consulted Carl McLawhorn's SEMROC "Classics" listing, as well as JimZ site:

http://www.semroc.com/Store/Scripts...p?idproduct=935

http://www.spacemodeling.org/jimz/kc-17.htm

"Centuri SST Shuttle 1 #KC-17/#5077

Plastic Nose Cone PNC-10? 4.9"L-StoT See Photo"

If you examine the attached (aforementioned) photo, it's obvious that the main nose cone is somewhat "pointier" than the PNC-106 (Carl's counterpart was BC-1045P).

I remember my SST Shuttle had a medium-light blue main nose cone, which I thought was odd "back in the day."

However, I agree with your assertions that Centuri "played fast and loose" with nose cone substitutions in their kits.

So, it just depends on how "pointy" you want your SST Shuttle nose cone:

SEMROC BC-1045P or BC-1050.

Yet another example of "Your mileage may vary." Thanks for your comments!
Attached Files
File Type: tif kc-17p.tif (1.55 MB, 120 views)
Semroc SAM #0029
NAR 86131

"I think about organizing things all the time. Never seems to happen. I find something that piques my interest and I'm off on a quest. Or a Centuri. "

03 Sept 2014
Old 03-13-2019, 08:45 PM
Apollo Nut

Jay-

As far as I can tell, the SST main cone was always the pointy PNC-106. I have a first issue SST kit and the instructions and main cone are the pointy PNC-106 cone. That is also the same cone in the attached TIFF file in your message; I guess that is the same parts scan image from the JimZ plans.

My comments on the balsa to plastic change was on the Astro-1 kit that raeford was talking about. Pretty sure the SST started off with a plastic cone and stayed that way throughout (the SST was first released in the 1971 catalog, the same catalog that first carried plastic cones by Centuri).

Hope that clarifies my comments. GREAT job on the list by the way!!

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970

Last edited by Earl : 03-13-2019 at 11:10 PM. Reason: Spellin'
Old 03-14-2019, 12:05 AM
Incurable SEMROC Fan

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
Hope that clarifies my comments. GREAT job on the list by the way!!
Earl,

Thanks! We're all muddling through this together.

Cheers and blessings,
Semroc SAM #0029
NAR 86131

03 Sept 2014