View Single Post
Old 11-27-2008, 08:57 PM
Just another BAR!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPMcGraw
You'll fit right in, Bill. We have a room and a jacket waiting for you...

The only issues I see immediately are, as noted, the single pylon, and the use of 2 E9s for power. Estes Es are notoriously weak, with less power than a D12 for getting off the pad. I would think a composite E (SU or RL) would be a better choice.

Watch your acceleration numbers in RS. This column in the simulation doesn't get a lot of attention usually; in the case of your RT ship, though, you want to minimize this number somewhat. Watch the recommended launch guide length. If it goes over 48", you'll need a tower. You might also think about adjusting the power up or down to achieve flight V at or below 40" of guide. Too high an acceleration number could tear that ring right off the pylon by the time it gets off the end of the rod.

Craig,

Thanks for the welcome and feedback on my Chronos design.

Yeah, pylon strength is a concern. My experience has been limited to black powder engines, but I agree designs of this size / weight are probably more suitable for composites.

I posted some specifics about the single pylon design in a response to Jim. I did try to strengthen the fin mounts. I hadn't considered sheer force.

I'm going to work a "down-scale" C-engine version like you suggested. I can use it as a boiler plate to work out the single pylon design before moving onto mid-power.

Thanks for the feedback on acceleration / velocity numbers. Exactly the type of feedback I was looking for. Is there a general rule of them for acceleration and velocity numbers off the rod?

Thanks,

... Bill