View Single Post
Old 11-27-2008, 12:06 AM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkt2k1
I've been following the design threads on YORF with great interest for sometime now. I'm continually amazed at the seemingly endless design creativity.

Just getting back into the hobby after being away for awhile, I thought I'd finally take a shot and submit a design for your review and consideration.

The general design inspiration came from pictures of a ST Vulcan Surak-Class starship I found online. I setup some basic design goals (documented in Rocksim file) and set out to have some fun. I still have some tweaking to do on the design and look forward to any comments and suggestions. (I'm working on decreases weight some and tweaking flight performance.)

So here for your review and consideration, the Chronos NX1.

Thanks,

... Bill

You'll fit right in, Bill. We have a room and a jacket waiting for you...

The only issues I see immediately are, as noted, the single pylon, and the use of 2 E9s for power. Estes Es are notoriously weak, with less power than a D12 for getting off the pad. I would think a composite E (SU or RL) would be a better choice.

As for the pylon, a single plywood or (autoclaved) CF support column should be sufficient if you use a TTW attachment at the ring. This would mean the ring needs to be a laminate of two or three thin layers, and maybe needs to also be made from (autoclaved) CF. I am more concerned with the ring pulling off the pylon than I am with the pylon flexing or pulling out of the BT.

I like the idea of a single-pylon ring ship, and would love to see it done for A-C class motors. I'm sure it's possible; it's just a matter of good construction and the proper materials being used. Remember that RT ships are high-drag, and you'll never get a lot of performance from one. You will get a lot of joint stress and vibration on that pylon-ring attachment point.

Watch your acceleration numbers in RS. This column in the simulation doesn't get a lot of attention usually; in the case of your RT ship, though, you want to minimize this number somewhat. Watch the recommended launch guide length. If it goes over 48", you'll need a tower. You might also think about adjusting the power up or down to achieve flight V at or below 40" of guide. Too high an acceleration number could tear that ring right off the pylon by the time it gets off the end of the rod.

BARCLONE Rocketry -- http://barclone.rocketshoppe.com
BARCLONE Blogsite -- http://barclone.wordpress.com
BARCLONE Forum -- BARCLONE Forum

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635