View Single Post
Old 03-24-2016, 08:44 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackshire
You're welcome! I received my 3D printed parts today. The grid fins and landing legs look accurate and fit very well! I dry-fitted the whole rocket together (minus its clear plastic fins), and with the upgrade parts in place it looked just like the photograph on the kit box. Also:

Had Alex Boyce not mentioned to me that the grid fins’ airfoils are slightly thicker than scale, that small difference wouldn’t have been apparent. (Looking at them closely, I’m intrigued at their possibilities for use—as actual stabilizer fins—on scale models of the ballistic missiles, satellite launch vehicles, and guided missiles that use grid fins [I think they would stabilize such models just fine, particularly if those models were made at slightly larger scales].)

My pleasure! I was just looking at my Falcon - 9 on the table in my garage the other day and always cringe when I look at the foam "legs" (most of the time, they're about to self-peel off). I was thinking of using glue to stop the peeling problem, but "something" told me to hold up on that. Now I know why......

I would also prefer to use half dowels and other parts for the plumbing lines on the exterior of the rocket's body (like the Estes/Centuri Saturn - V), as it would look better than the drawn on lines. But from the distance, it doesn't look all that bad anyway.