Thread: First Motors
View Single Post
Old 03-19-2007, 10:45 AM
Craftsman

I would suggest that we need to keep it focused on ease of adoption - making it easy for customers to choose Semroc motors instead of the other brands.

While having an 18mm BP D motor would be very cool, people would have to build a model specifically to take it because of the longer size of the casing. Same with the possible larger BP E and F motors.

Instead, I would focus on substitutions for existing motors - or unique motors - but definitely in the 18x70mm size. I'd love to see the A8-0 and B14-0 - but it comes down to distribution.

If Semroc is looking to build distribution through retail/hobby stores (which may be required to get enough volume to justify selling motors) then motors to replace existing Estes/Quest make sense, as long as there is a competitive advantage (i.e. price or other feature). This makes is easy for a customer to choose Semroc motors instead of Estes/Quest.

If Semroc is looking to sell through direct mail, then having unique motors (such as the B14) makes more sense - the uniqueness of the motor then becomes the competitive advantage. If through direct mail - there's much less of a reason for a customer to choose a Semroc B6-4 (for example) than an Estes/Quest when the E/Q motors are already available at the local hobby shop and Wal-Mart.

Sorry for the long post - but really excited about seeing the motors come to market!

Thanks