View Single Post
Old 07-01-2007, 11:15 PM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Pierson
Its been so long since I posted a new rocksim design that I almost forgot how!
Here is one I call the Anti-Cyclone, named after the massive red stop on the planet Jupiter which is apparently a gaint unending circular storm like a hurricane. I just thought the name was cool anyways . This one is unbuilt for now but may make its way to the build list soon.

Thanks Again and Enjoy, JP

James Pierson
NAR# 77907

I'm glad someone is still doing something! I wish I could get back to designing a few, but...

Most of my time lately has been trying to finish up the new web pages for BARCLONE. I'm closing in on the finish line, I think, but it's still a major time-killer. The first 100 models are in the database with description pages to provide some details for each model. It averages about four separate files for each model, which is probably the easiest way to accomplish what I was trying to do. Basically, this website will have well over 1300 files by the time I get this first edition sent up to Scott.

One nagging 'feature' that the new site tries to accomplish is to adjust itself optimally for everyone's screen, as long as that screen is at least 1024 pixels wide. It doesn't always optimize cleanly -- some things shift on top of others at the lower sizes unless I'm really on top of it. Visitors with screens smaller than 1024 wide will get nothing except a nag page complaining about it.

PDAs and cell phones are completely out of luck. The nav bar on the left side takes 250 px by itself!

For you programmers, it's written in PHP, generating HTML; there is a little JavaScript for some client-side processing, but mostly it's server-side action. All of the models, decals, and other goodies have their primary data stored in a MySQL database. Page formatting is done with CSS, which has really simplified the project.

More to come. I'm seeing daylight. It's a bright light, anyway...

BARCLONE Rocketry -- http://barclone.rocketshoppe.com
BARCLONE Blogsite -- http://barclone.wordpress.com
BARCLONE Forum -- BARCLONE Forum

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635