View Single Post
Old 01-16-2013, 06:57 PM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
The 1972 Enerjet Aero Dart used the same molded plastic cone as the Enerjet Athena and later Orion used. Not sure any other kits used that ST-20 size cone. I use the Semroc Balsa version on both my Enerjet Aero Dart clones. My built Athena uses the Moldin' Oldies cone with the panel lines for 'accuracy' to original. My unbuilt Athena SLS 'kit' from a certain special individual that I got years back has the balsa cone.

Actually, the plastic version of the cone was first used in the Orion kit in 1970 before the Enerjet kits were even out. As Carl noted the original Orion used the two part balsa and paper shroud nosecone along with balsa pod cones.

By sometime in latter '70 and probably no later than early '71 the balsa cones were replaced with plastic.

In early '72 the new Enerjet models were released with the two you mention using the same plastic cone that had been developed originally for the Orion.

I've long been on a lookout for a copy of the original Orion instructions, but have never come across a copy.

Carl, by any chance did you copy those instructions from Craddock's kit when you had it?

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970