Thread: Rocket Doctor
View Single Post
Old 09-06-2007, 02:43 PM
Forest Sprite

Quote:
Originally Posted by foose4string
Mark, like it or not, we are a minority. There are enough numbers to keep the hobby alive, and obviously enough keep a few kit manufacturers in business, but I find it hard to believe that those sales can even touch the dollars earned from toy sales. Chinese made, clam shelled, RTF, blister packs in the national 'Marts' is awfully hard to compete with in terms of overall numbers and profit dollars(this includes Launchables and starter sets). I'm not justifying their existance, just merely stating the obvious. Some may argue that the RTF's get people interested in the 'real' hobby, but I'm not so sure. Instant gratification is also hard to compete with!

You are probably right; cheap plastic toy-like rockets are now all that most potential customers (kids or parents buying for kids) ever see. Although you do find some simple Skills Level 1 packaged as Launchables being sold at Wal-Mart (e.g., the Gauchito). If you are really lucky (like I was once), you may even see a Spaceship One (#2191) or a Bullpup 12D, all kits that do require some building.

I guess that one thing I ought to check out, before I do anymore belly-aching, is to find out how strong model rocketry is today. If the hobby is still very much alive and well, NAR sections are growing, launches are being well-attended, etc., and good companies like Semroc are doing well, then perhaps all the toy-ified rocket junk that is being cranked out and sold in big box stores shouldn't be such an issue. But I don't know - I'd have to see some numbers.

Mark
Mark S. Kulka NAR #86134 L1,_ASTRE #471_Adirondack Mountains, NY
Opinions Unfettered by Logic • Advice Unsullied by Erudition • Rocketry Without Pity
+09281962-TAK-08272007+
SAM # 0011