View Single Post
Old 02-07-2021, 11:30 PM
Master Modeler

<confused> This looks like a standard Red Max... What’s “little” about it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltvscout
Here's info and pics Jeff sent me of this rare starter outfit.

Attached are photos of the Estes Little Red Max Flying Model Rocket Starter Outfit #1781 that I have. I purchased this set on eBay on September 11, 2017. The Porta-Pad that was supposed to be included in the Starter Outfit was missing when I acquired the set. The side panel photos are in black and white, so I’m not sure if the Porta-Pad included was the chrome Citation Star Port Launch Pad or the traditional orange plastic Porta-Pad. The black and white photos show it as a light color, so it may have even been a yellow Porta-Pad, like some of the earlier ones.

Beside checking with the folks at Estes Industries, I plan to do a posting on YORF to see if anyone else has any additional knowledge of this Estes Little Red Max Flying Model Rocket Starter Outfit #1781. From all the clues that I have, including the version of the Alpha Mini-Book of Model Rocketry that shows current kits at that time, and the item number scheme, this set appears to have been issued in 1981 or possibly 1982, but most likely 1981, to be a companion to the Estes Deluxe Big Red Max Flying Model Rocketry Outfit #1403, which had the Big Foot Launch Control System.

I do have some additional images also attached from an unopened Estes Little Red Max Flying Model Rocket Starter Outfit #1781 that was sold on eBay by Christian Hanawalt on April 30, 2017. I’m not sure who purchased it, but I have Christian Hanawalt’s contact information because I have purchased several other vintage model rocketry items that he was selling from his father’s estate in the past, so I may try to contact him to see if he remembers and is willing to put me in touch with the winning bidder. I will let you know the results of my research.
In finishing: Centuri Sabre clone
In primer:
In paint:
Ready for decals:

Bill Cooke
NAR #31312
TRA #19705
SAM #0001
Huntsville, AL

My rocket blog
My rocket fleet