View Single Post
Old 12-20-2013, 01:46 PM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke strawwalker
PS... sounds like the same kind of engineering that argued that Titanic would be it's own lifeboat thanks to the watertight compartment bulkheads... and we all know how that turned out...
The 1997 movie was on this past Sunday. I'd never seen it before, but I'd been meaning to rent it

Anyway, after it was over, it occurred to me the fallacy of the builders' thinking. It's a bit easier to buy into the notion that 100% lifeboat coverage wasn't needed, but thinking that topless compartments were somehow adequate is pure stupidity. I call it "drinking the koolaid", or taking verbal drugs (believing the unbelievable).

When water started coming over the walls of flooded compartments into adjacent compartments, I'm sure it occurred to the folks in those spaces just how foolish a notion it was that open-top compartments were somehow a reasonable compromise

I've seen this before, where folks talk themselves into accepting a partial solution, only to realize later that half-@$$ed solutions usually amount to no solution at all. The Maginot line comes to mind...

Doug

YORF member #11