View Single Post
Old 09-23-2020, 08:46 PM
Officially Middle-Aged Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
I guess Carl did not have too many options other than going with a different decor, what with Centuri original having the white decals. Looks like Carl just ‘reversed’ colors on his: white rocket with red decals, which works ok too.

Sure do miss Carl. Looking back over many of his instruction sets here recently as we began working on preserving all his kit work, it is amazing to see the sheer volume of stuff he, Sheryl, and Bruce turned out. Glad we can collectively work together to preserve it.

Earl

I went looking through my SEMROC kits to see if I had a Lil Ivan, but instead found an email from Sheryl in the box I keep the SEMROC kits in that jogged my memory: I was reading Tom Beach's review in Sport Rocketry of the SEMROC Mars Lander right after it came out and my wife looked over my shoulder and asked "What's that?" So, I explained the history of the kit and that it had just been re-released, blah blah, and she said "Well, shouldn't you have one of those?" and before she could change her mind, I said "Well, now that you mention it, yes, I should" and she said "Shouldn't you have 2, since you collect those kind of things?" and I choked and said "You're probably right, I should, and I should probably order them right now before you come to your senses, I mean before they sell out." So I placed the order and added a couple of things and chose the 'Lil' Ivan' (see, this is still on topic) as my free kit. The next morning I had an email from Sheryl telling me that Carl was sending me a 'SLS Hustler' kit instead of Ivan to thank me for posting the Hustler plans on YORF and taking measurements of my original kit, etc. That's the kind of guy Carl was, and that's why I don't have a SEMROC Lil' Ivan, and that's why I'm certainly not complaining.
SAM #0031