Thread: ACE Mongrel
View Single Post
Old 07-29-2020, 04:48 PM
The_Ripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by astronwolf
The .ork file that I put up there went out of date quickly.

I've encountered these fin dimensions in rocksim files of two U.S. Rockets versions of the Mongrel. These files can be found on the Rocket Reviews website . When I compare them to a photo of the original, the semi-span seems too wide and the tip cord too short. So I don't believe that these represent the original.

See attached drawings that illustrate what I see, and the .ork file.
Your rendering is definitely truer to what I see in the picture. Looks like you have it really close Wolf. I didn't realize U.S. Rockets ever offered a Mongrel kit but I do remember pictures from the old California Rocketry Magazines and other ACE stuff being in there.

I found those dimensions in a folder where I have some old plans for a LaserLOC, some NCR Hypersonic kits, and fin patterns and other HPR stuff I picked up around the time of LDRS-8. I thought possibly those dimensions could have come from the old Rogers Aeroscience ALT4 program when it ran in DOS and you had to call Fred Brennion every time you needed to upgrade the program! They had some kit examples in the program but I'm not really sure that's where those dimensions came from. I may have obtained them from my friend Scot that ran TRA HQ back then but I definitely had interest at the time of building a Mongrel one day because I saved them. I'll check out your .ork file when I get back later tonight, thanks
SAM# 0052

🚀 In Construction: Der Blue Maxx/Minie-Magg 5.5” & Vander-Burn MDRM Clone w/Stickershock23 Custom Decals
🚀 In Paint & Detail: USR Banshee
🚀 In Build Queue: Estes Doorknob w/Vander-Burn Rocketry Upgrade Kit [Sport Decor], Semroc Centurion-F, Semroc Egg Crate
🚀 In Repair: SLS Lil’ Hustler, SLS Aero-Dart 1969 Trim
🚀 Stay Tuned For Fall 2021 Launch Dates