View Single Post
Old 05-07-2020, 11:36 PM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEL
Found the first two items in a shoe box that I thought had been thrown out years ago by mistake. Bought the wadding at Eric Snooks Toy Shop in Bath on a trip to the UK in 1995. Just found out that they closed up shop in 2017 ( https://www.toynews-online.biz/2017...-shop-to-close/ ). Found the LJ-II in a hobby shop in Oxford on the same trip. The Centuri wadding must have come in a ebay lot, no idea when it was purchased. Found these in another shoe box mixed in with a bunch of Centuri odds and ends. Not sure when Centuri sold this type of wadding - has anyone here ever used it?

Crepe wadding is pretty much all I have ever used on model rockets (several different other types on high power rockets).

Centuri starting selling the crepe wadding around about '73. It is what came with my Centuri Screaming Eagle starter set. But, I never bought any actual packs from Centuri after I used what came in my starter set. I could get large sheets of it MUCH cheaper at the department store and cut it into rectangles the size of the Centuri stuff. Much later, I acquired a number of packs of the Centuri wadding (as you have pictured) and that was the first time I ever saw what the Centuri crepe paper wadding packs looked like...and it was something like 30 years after the fact, long after Centuri had gone out of business.

They actually sold both types of wadding -- the crepe and the earlier 'cotton' type -- for many years, maybe even up until '83 when they went out business.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970