View Single Post
Old 12-27-2020, 12:49 PM
Surfrajettes Fan

Comrades:

I really wasn't going to post this one. This is the rebuild of the second Aerobee from the lot on the last page. It did not present with anything particularly difficult to repair. I really didn't think it was going to be tough and it really wasn't, but I knew there was one part of it that would resonate with most of the guys on this site: Testors Silver paint. I figure this kit was built sometime before 1975. The minute I put some sandpaper to it, I could immediately smell that Testors Silver smell. The sanding residue was a metallic dark grey dust that was still a little sticky. That's right, almost 50 YEARS later, that stuff was still slightly uncured.

The first picture shows it after initial sanding. I've removed both launch lugs and I've already patched the trailing edges of the two silver fins. The black fin got a new telemetry antenna. The upper lug was eliminated and repurposed, the lower lug was later relocated to be centered between the fins. I added a 2050 ring with a Kevlar leader just above the motor mount. I also pushed a BT-50 coupler over the shoulder of the transition so it fit better. I patched various dings and dents in the conduits. I went through the parachute, but it was in pretty good shape, all things considered. And I sanded, a lot. That silver paint just would not come off. Everything got a coat of Duplicolor high-build grey primer and I sanded some more.

The second picture shows it finished and ready to launch in this morning's bright Texas sunshine. Obviously, I went with the kit colors: Rustoleum Silver, Flat Black and Flat White. I resisted the urge to paint the red conduit tops with a period-correct Q-Tip and used a real brush with Testors Insignia Red. Everything got a light coat of Tree Top matte clear acrylic.

Looking forward to launching it when the pandemic restrictions are lifted.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  aero7a.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  659.1 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  aero8.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  455.5 KB  

Awaiting First Launch: Too numerous to count
Finishing: Zooch Saturn V; Alway/Nau BioArcas; Estes Expedition; TLP Standard
Repair/Rescue: Cherokee-D (2); Centuri Nike-Smoke; MX-774
On the Bench: 2650;