View Single Post
Old 05-11-2007, 12:59 AM
Junior ??? Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by barone
Okay....here's some change....
The instructions need to be detailed enough that someone who has never built a rocket can use them. Sure, some of us who have been building for years don't even use the instructions (was Bill mentioned ). But the producer has to also target the novice. And the Semroc instructions aren't just instructions, they're a history lesson.
One of the things that struck me about the early instructions was that they were written in the "Heath-kit" style so ANYONE could put the kit together. It is much too detailed for someone that has built a few kits, but most experienced modelers just look at the pictures anyway. The "history lesson" sometimes takes the most time doing the research. Some, like the Aerobee-Hi, took several days looking through old literature to find missing details. But the lesson is important to me. There are kits and people and companies behind the kits that I want to be remembered.
Quote:
So, I don't think changing the format is a solution but maybe changing how it's all brought together. Maybe some generic instructions (as James stated) that apply to most rockets that can be cut and pasted into the instructions (the same with generic drawings). Then, perhaps, those who wish a particular kit to be manufactured, obtain the software (or one that can be imported into what ever Carl is using) and start writing. That opens the writing staff from maybe one (I don't know who writes the instructions for Carl)
So far, Carl does!
Quote:
to potentially hundreds. Of course, a format would need to be developed for everyone to use so all the instructions follow a basic one. And a list of who's writing what so there isn't a duplication of effort (also allows some collaboration among members). And of course, coordination with Carl to make sure there are or are existing parts for the kit. Heck, it may not be even finacially viable to kit a model with instructions.

I guess the bottom line is simply if the instructions are the biggest hurdle to producing a kit, then we are a resource that can be used to get them written. Just give us the generic stuff, a format, and a way to coordinate the work and I believe the members of this forum can make it happen.
Craig and Jay have a pretty good idea what it takes. It is easy to get bogged down in details. Most of my time is spent creating an accurate model of all the parts in 3D Studio Max and then doing a RockSim version. All the 2D drawings now are done with a plug-in to 3DSM that generates the illustrations. As an example, it took weeks to input every ring, tube, laser-cut part, etc. for the Mars Lander and the Saturn 1B. The actual illustrations took about ten minutes each to output and clean up with PaintShop Pro or CorelDraw. In our early days, each drawing was done by hand, taking sometimes a half a day for each one. We have come a long way! It actually took less time to do the illustrations for the Mars Lander than it did for the Hydra VII.

The final edit of instructions may be a good place for using the talent in this group. After I am through with each set of instructions, Bruce and Sheryl go over them, building a model from them and checking for "continuity." Problems at this point are things like a drawing that shows a launch lug, many steps before it is glued on. Tom Beach found the missing step on the Mars Lander where the bottom of the launch lug was cut off. That required going back through many pictures to remove the extra 1 inch of launch lug that was not supposed to be there. It also changed the cover art, which showed the protruding launch lug! Extra eyes and grey matter is always welcome and appreciated.
NAR#4717 L2
semroc.com