Thread: Virtual NARCON
View Single Post
Old 02-02-2021, 08:17 AM
rocket dinosaur

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
Be it a B8 or B14, either in a -0 delay will be most welcome as a booster instead of the B6-0.
One could reliably again fly a 3-stage 18mm powered rocket without fear of an extreme VEER upon clearing the launch rod.

Once this happens, they can discontinue the B6-0 and nobody will miss it.
It would be great if we could get the B8 or B14 back in -3,5,7, and 0 delays. Not sure why the B14-6 ever existed...seems like an un-needed delay.

In the past I probably used more B14-0s than any other B14. The B14-7 was a close second.

why would anybody want an underpowered B8 or B14.....doesn't that kinda defeat the purpose of having either in the 1st place.? The new C5-3 is 1.31 Nsec weaker than the original. The average thrust is 1.35 Nsec less than the original. The old C5 actually was a C5. this new one is C4. The initial thrust spike is almost identical. All of this leads me to believe the culprit is that the BP has a much lower Isp than the 1995 BP did. The old C5 was a 91% C while the new one is a 78% C...... That's a full 13% difference.

for avg Thrust:

Average Thrust = Favg = (propellant weight flowrate) * Isp [Isp = specific impulse]

PS for you that didn't know Estes has used various different BP thruout it's history. For example it started out using DuPont, then Goex, then CIL, KIK, then back to Goex. All BP is not created equal in strength or Isp.

the Dupont plant in PA blew up while they where building the current GOEX plant in LA. The GOEX plant is the only BP manufacturing plant in the US. There used to be several but they either blew up or went out of business. CIL is Canadian Industries Limited. KIK is a Slovenia company or was. Your probably wondering how can BP be weaker or stronger? well it depends primarily on the Charcoal that is used in the manufacture of BP. ie the actual tree types the charcoal is made from. For example some people believe the charcoal in GOEX is made from Maple trees. GOEX has never really divulged exactly what trees it does use. But there are hardwood and softwood charcoals and they end up making different strengths of BP.
GOEX is actually owned by Hogsdon Power company.

I forgot to say that in addition to the actual trees used to make charcoal.....another important step is HOW you make the charcoal from the trees....Depending on the way you "cook" charcoal, ie make it, you can increase the Carbon content, which is what you want, high carbon content charcoal. Poor charcoal and hence poor or low carbon content in the charcoal can result in poor ie weak BP.....