Thread: Russian Sa-5
View Single Post
Old 07-29-2018, 05:32 PM
Master Modeler

My SA-5 for NARAM 60 is almost ready for paint

I learned a big lesson today. If you make two of the same parts and one of them is incorrectly made you should really throw it away so you don’t end up finishing it and gluing it to your model. In my case no one would have known it was wrong but I still had to remove it and proceed to finish the correct part which wasted several hours today. The other big lesson is, even though 3D printed parts are easy to make relatively speaking they are a real pain to finish to get read of all those layer lines. I used 8 cans of primer on this model which is crazy. Then when you’re done finishing the correct part, try not to drop it breaking off a critical part. The very bottom of this body has a specially made part that the rear of the solid rocket boosters bolts too. I bet you can guess which part broke off.
The easiest parts to finish on this model were the four large fins witch were made out of wood and one of the tunnels along the side of the body which was made of wood as well.
I still have a few more coats of primer in a few areas the body to finish but other than that she is ready for paint.
I'm pretty sure this is the color scheme I am going with. This way I don't have to worry about the thousand decals of text and such that would other wise need to be applied.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  BIG_0010790482.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  64.3 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  SA-5 primed 1.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  367.0 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  SA-5 primed 2.jpg
Views: 32
Size:  286.0 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  SA-5 primed 3.jpg