View Single Post
Old 08-03-2022, 04:55 PM
Apollo Nut

Built a Centuri original back in the latter 70s. Fun build at the time. Lots of balsa to finish off, but the completed model properly built and finished looks great.

As others have stated and as you can imagine, they are not endurance gliders. BUT, they do glide decently well. The smaller shuttle craft with such high wing loading glides for a lesser time. It also helps to have an extra eye or two on the vehicle during launch. Three separate items to keep up with. If flying on bare dirt or grass you’ll have no problem finding everything, but in taller grass or weeds it can be easy to loose the central power pod/motor mount or the smaller shuttle craft.

On the first flight of mine way back when it was in thigh-high weeds on either side of a mowed strip. I lost sight of the smaller craft and did not find it until the next winter after the area had been cut and plowed. It was toast by then of course, but I had probably walked all around it right after that flight but could not see it because it was probably nose down in the weeds.

It’s a classic Centuri kit. I’d recommend it!

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970