View Single Post
Old 08-17-2020, 07:57 PM
Scale Modeler Extrodinare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blastfromthepast
Tdracer,

Perchance, were you a member of PAR, the Pueblo Association of Rocketry?
I recall a couple of folks from that club: Lloyd Armstrong and Don Perko, among others.

ROMAR ( the Colorado Springs section I belonged to) and PAR competed in some sanctioned contests during 1973-4.
PAR folded soon afterword, but Lloyd joined ROMAR IN 1983. Unfortunately, that club also ceased to exist the following year!

Yep, that's it. Don Perko was a good friend - even if he went to the wrong high school (he went to Pueblo South, I went to Pueblo East) Also Richard Jetley and Larry Clark, (Richard and Larry and I lived on the same street). If I recall correctly, Lloyd was the senior advisor? I recall going up to a few rocket meets in Colorado Springs during that time frame - also one in Denver at the old Hogback launch range (I understand they held a couple early NARAMs there - it's all houses now) and one outside Thornton.
To a large extent Don, Larry, Richard, and I (and to a certain extent, our parents) were the ones that kept the club going - problem was we were all the same age (I think Don was one year younger) so when we all went off to college in 1973, the club kind of fell apart. At least in my case, although I majored in Aero Engineering, my interest in model rocketry fell off rapidly after I started college and wasn't resurrected until the early 2000's.
I saw Don Perko when I attended NARAM 52 in Pueblo - he wasn't competing but he'd come down to watch (he was living/working in the Denver area). Sadly he passed away back in 2017.