View Single Post
Old 08-17-2020, 06:42 PM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdracer
I went to NARAM 11 - but only as a spectator (if memory serves, I was just starting to get interested in competitive rocketry about then - and our local club was just getting formed). I lived in Pueblo, so a day trip up to see what NARAM was all about just meant convincing an adult to drive us up there.
One of my strongest memories of that NARAM was that Estes had brought up one of their engine test rigs, and was demonstrating it almost continuously.

A couple years later - after the Pueblo club was well established - we often worked with Estes. We did a demo launch for Boy's Life magazine which resulted in a nice article in the October 1972 issue (which unfortunately including my pranging an Estes Saturn V). I still have a copy of the magazine around here somewhere - sometime I'll dig it out and scan it.

I remember well that article as a 10 year old at the time. It was the first ‘article’ or coverage of model rocketry that I had ever seen, outside of a model rocket catalog, which at that time I had only two, the 1971 and the 1972 Centuri catalogs.

I recall a photo of several rockets laying a a prep table or such and thinking “Ooh, those are rockets that have ACTUALLY flown!”.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970