View Single Post
Old 05-10-2020, 10:18 PM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
Believe it or not, I seem to recall FSI used FIBREGLASS... YECHHH.

Yeah, I seem to remember that too...

There's been a lot of wadding discussions over the years, and as a landowner who allows a club to fly off the farm, the only thing I *DO NOT* want to see is FIBERGLASS... that stuff with NEVER rot, it just lays wherever it lands, eventually gets washed down to the ground by rainfall, and lays there FOREVER. All the various paper products, be it crepe, flameproofed TP wadding (Estes wadding), dog barf shredded paper insulation, etc. will all rot, and the borate flameproofing chemicals pose no environmental hazard, since most soils in the US are boron deficient anyway and boron is a micronutrient in the soil. Of course the reusable wadding in the form of flameproof NOMEX cloth sheets sold by various manufacturers, particularly popular with large MPR/HPR fliers, is a terrific reusable option. Ejection Pistons or plugs are good and "mostly" reusable, but should be tethered to the rocket IMHO... I know that competition fliers often used styrofoam plugs for their lightness, ejected from the model from altitude. IMHO they should be tethered to the rocket, if only by a bit of parachute string or thread, to keep the plug with the model, because styrofoam is another one of those things that deteriorates only very slowly in the environment, and basically becomes unsightly litter until it finally breaks down into dust over a long period of time.

Green leaves, grass, etc. are always good options as well, cheap and of course completely biodegradable. Lettuce, cabbage, heck I've even heard of guy using brussels sprouts one time LOL As long as it's moist it won't burn, and green grass is cheap and readily available.

Later! OL J R