View Single Post
Old 06-14-2020, 10:05 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by erik442
Definitely an Acme motor.
Agree that the Super C would be an improvement.
The 3/16" rod won't fit the lugs that are moulded into the body. I used a 3 ft. X 1/8" mild steel rod.
I could remove the lugs with a Dremel and fit larger ones since my 3/16" rod is 4ft. long. Good idea, Tim.
My issue with this model is that I just can't get enough altitude out of it and it only accepts 18mm motors.
Mine is perhaps slightly over built and the dome is heavily repaired with epoxy. It weighs almost 5 ounces flight ready.
I will continue to experiment to see if it's possible to get a decent flight from it, but for now the only thing I'm sure of is that it's underpowered.

Sounds like a job for Quest Q-Jet D16 motor if the C5 can't do it satisfactorily. I don't know how much better the Q-Jet C12 would be over a C5. Someone with a heavy later production Mercury Redstone could do a quick eyeball study if they have both motors.

I've got a couple of the early run R2 kits still in the bag. I've been planning to build one, but just haven't got around to it yet. Several folks modded Semroc Mars Landers for 24mm motors in the months after Carl released it. I'd have to dig into the kit to see if that's possible to do with the R2 kit. It would allow use C11 and D12 BP motors for folks that like BP or don't have local access to Quest products.