View Single Post
Old 05-24-2009, 06:43 PM
frustrated aero

I have been out of town for a couple weeks, on vacation. I now have my tubes from Totally Tubular!!

I have been kicking around how to mount the fuel tubes. Attached are some sketches. Putting the tubes on a .935 radius (scale dimension) the largest ID to fit inside the tubes is 1.17" The closest tube I can find is a Quest T30 which is 1.18" OD. I am thinking now of using a BT-50, make it full length and fly on a single 24mm motor.

I am attaching a drawing which has some part dimensions, which is currently, a hybrid of the core using the Quest tube and the BT-50. You will note there is a gap between the engine tubes and the stuffer--the Centuri kit has a cardboard bulkhead there, to adapt the two engine cluster to the stuffer tube.

Using the original Centuri instructions, I find some of the part lengths aren't to scale--or since I can't find the templates mentioned in the instructions, I may have incorrectly interpreted some of the part placement. I decided to make all the lengths to scale, so I am moving away from being a Centuri clone.

I still have a question about the aft tube length. George Gassaway's drawing shows the top to be at STA 192.6. I can't find this documented on the Saturn 1B drawings I have (NARTS packet and Scott Lowther's APR site). Scaling the pixels on these drawings, I get the top at 193.75. George, is your dimension an actual STA, or did you scale it?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  TubeMeasurmentCTC.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  235.9 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  TubeMeasurmentMIN.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  232.8 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  TubeT3024.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  231.5 KB  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf SaturnIB_KS10.PDF (170.8 KB, 149 views)
Get yer Barrowmans here