View Single Post
Old 10-24-2008, 07:55 PM
Forest Sprite

I use my standard low-power launcher to launch my Tumbleweed on Micro power. I stand it off at least half-way up my 36" x 1/8" rod, though, and I give the rod a quick sanding with extra-fine sandpaper to make sure that it is really clean and smooth. (It is important to do this in any case, but it makes a particularly big difference in this case.)

The Tumbleweed starts off fast but slows down quickly, coasting to a dead stop in mid-air, about 30 feet up, after a perfectly vertical flight. It just kind of hangs there for a couple of heartbeats, as if to take in the view, and then it drops, firing the ejection charge about halfway down. It really helps if you launch the rocket in dead still air, but launching mine in a very slight breeze a couple of times didn't hurt its flights.

Be aware that the Tumbleweed might hit the blast deflector on the pad on the way down. Also be careful that you don't hurt yourself as you fall to the ground, laughing your klister off.

Mark \\.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  DSCF0129-half-size.JPG
Views: 103
Size:  180.2 KB  
Mark S. Kulka NAR #86134 L1,_ASTRE #471_Adirondack Mountains, NY
Opinions Unfettered by Logic • Advice Unsullied by Erudition • Rocketry Without Pity
+09281962-TAK-08272007+
SAM # 0011