View Single Post
Old 08-24-2019, 01:02 AM
Too Many Initiators is Never Enough

Default Estes Prototype Motors Part 1

This thread has been quiet for awhile so I thought it time to bring out some more items to show.

When I worked at AeroTech we were often designing new motors.
Not all made it into production but most of them did at some point.

Estes has also made prototype motors throughout its' existence.
A few have made it into production but most were just experiments by Ed Brown and Mike Dorffler.

During the 1990s, as a result of competition from AeroTech, Quest and other companies, Estes worked on a variety of new motor ideas. Almost all did not see production.

These Estes prototype motors usually ended up in someone's desk or personal collection.
Even if the motors were never to see production, they represented interesting historical pieces of the hobby and Estes.

There was concern over twenty years ago that these prototype motors could be ordered disposed of due to the management running Estes at the time.

Some of these prototype motors made it out of Penrose and were sold to collectors.
Other motors were given to folks for safe keeping until such time that these motors could be acknowledged.

That time is now.

The following entries by me will show and discuss some of these prototype Estes motors.
Again, I ask that no comments be posted to this thread as it will take awhile to get through all the motors I have.

Enjoy this look back at what might have been.